Prascend versus compounded pergolide

Saucier Kathy

I know this topic has been discussed a lot.  Just spent the last couple hours reading files and message archives.

After placing an order for compounded pergolide from Thriving Pets and waiting for the prescription request they sent to the vet to be approved, I got what I expected.  The vet says it is illegal for him to write this prescription, that he can only do Prascend.  He will match any online pharmacy price though.  Also brought up all the regular stuff we hear about efficacy of compounded not being trusted.  He shared a link to an article from 2010 by Dr. Nancy Loving comparing compounded pergolide (www.bloodhorse.com article).  I know some places are less reliable than others.
I could debate this with him but I'm feeling like spending more money is worth not going through the hassle and possibly turning my vet away from wanting to treat my horse if I'm too difficult a customer.

I've been comparing prices online to use for him to match or give me a prescription from and here is what I have found.  I would like to know if anyone else has found a better price.  Hope this is ok to ask.
Valley Vet will do 60 tablets for $132.95.  That comes out just over $2 per day, with free shipping.
Next best I have found is $3/day.
Of course the pergolide would have been under $1 day.
So is $2 a day the best we can find for Prascend?

Kathy Saucier
Grayson, 19 yr old TWH
TX
2005?/2018

I promise to get a case history up after this weekend when I'm back on my home computer with all the tests and notes.

LJ Friedman

2 bucks is usually the best.. Remember many horses do not do well enough on 1 mg prascend.. and many need higher doses as they age... perhaps cabergoline will be more available as the years go bye..
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

Jesse's Case History
Jesse's Photos

melissa gray

Valley Vet also sells a 160 tablet box of Prascend, which drops the price to $1.81 or so per pill.  Worth it if you are giving 2+ mg/day.  Hoping I can get my vet to agree to compounded pergolide.  If not, I’m going to change my horse’s name to “Starbucks”, because that will be the only Starbucks I’ll be getting on a daily basis!  Lol

--
Melissa

May 2017, Greenville, NC

Buttercup Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melissa%20and%20Buttercup

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=31032

celestinefarm

Kathy,
Santa Cruz Health has the least expensive pricing on Prascend I'm aware of. I used them for purchasing when I first put Tipperary on Prascend, before going to compounded. Shipping is free and the service is excellent.  160 tabs are $1.68 each , which is the best price.
Something I would suggest is that you ask your vet to order it by giving him the website and quantity if you are purchasing from someone other than he. Ordering it yourself and then having the pharmacy send him a note for approval might have gotten his nose out of joint, in that he would be appearing to let his client dictate Rx. ( yes I know that is not it, but some vets think they know everything about everything and the client is stupid). Am I to understand he is selling you Prascend and will match the pricing?  That's interesting that he can simply adjust pricing down, meaning he is charging other clients more. If that's the case, then I'll be happy if he loses money on your script.

https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/prascend-tabs
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003