Upcoming testing

Patricia Evans

Hi,
I updated Dancer's case history with her latest blood results. The vet is planning to retest for insulin around mid November. Can someone look at her results, when they have time, and see if I should request other labs in addition to the insulin? All her labs are better, but still high. Clinically, she looks great (knock wood), so if just insulin is adequate, I'm fine with that, but since the vet will be here anyway, if the other labs need to be done, I will request them.
Thank-you for all your help and support!
--
Patricia Evans
North central Florida

Hi, Patricia,

Huge kudos to you!  You have done an amazing job with Miss Dancer.

I would get an ACTH as well; in my horses, they actually seem to peak in late Oct - mid November (apparently they didn't get the memo about when the seasonal rise is), so I think it would be prudent to get that as well.

Thanks for the update on the case history.  :)
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Patricia Evans

Thanks Jaini,
I will request that. I am so fortunate that I have a vet that is very knowledgeable as well as being agreeable to whatever I ask her.

I am also fortunate, and thankful, to have found this group and for all the information, knowledge and especially the support. Support that our very busy vets and farriers are sometimes only able to provide in limited amounts. They come to help our animals, but then they are gone to help someone else, and WE are the ones left to manage and try our best to care for our beloved animals, often floundering about what to do next and watching our horses in pain, feeling helpless to do something to help. Your group of people are taking the time to answer the questions we may have that probably help the owners as much as our horses. Your library of education is priceless.

I think the most important thing that I have learned from this group is that WE have to be proactive for our horses, not blindly following instructions that may or may not be accurate, just because the current expert says it is. If the trim looks wrong, it probably is; even though we are not the experts at trimming hooves, we can be the experts on researching what is correct and then follow through to correct it, even if you have to find a different vet, farrier, etc. This group has empowered me with the knowledge to be  assertive when I KNOW something is not right.

OK, rant done! Thank-you all SOOOOO much. Dancer is very appreciative too!