Pulses

Prompted by another thread, I'm going to ask about taking pulses.

I cannot, for the life of me, get a pulse anywhere on the horse unless it's absolutely pounding.  And I'm an energyworker!

Is there another way to get pulses, some instrument that will pick up what I can't?

Thanks.
--

Laurie and Atticus and Diamond - 05 2016
Collegeville, PA

Diamond Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Diamond%20Case%20History/Diamond%27s%20Case%20History.pdf
Atticus  Current Hay Analysis - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Hay%20Analysis/Hay%20Analysis%209-8-17.pdf

Atticus Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=42693&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Hi, Laurie - you are not alone!  In fact, digital pulses on a horse should be hard to find.  Here is a good explanation:  http://www.ironfreehoof.com/equine-digital-pulses.html

 If you want to monitor pulse rate, you can also use the maxillary artery, under the jaw (I like this one, because I don't have to bend over :) ).  https://equimed.com/health-centers/first-aid/articles/four-ways-to-take-your-horses-pulse  ; or you can count heartbeats using a stethoscope.

--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Jaini,

Thank you.

I don't seem to be able to find the maxillary one either.  But if the heart rate with a stethoscope works, then I'm on it.  I have one of those!  :D
--

Laurie and Atticus and Diamond - 05 2016
Collegeville, PA
Atticus Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Atticus%20Case%20History/Atticus%20Case%20History.docx.pdf

Diamond Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Diamond%20Case%20History/Diamond%27s%20Case%20History.pdf
Atticus  Current Hay Analysis - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laurie%20and%20Atticus/Hay%20Analysis/Hay%20Analysis%209-8-17.pdf

Atticus Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=42693&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Laurie,

Being an energyworker has nothing to do with it - unless it might be subconsciously putting some kind of expectation in your head that is interfering.

Digital pulses can be  faint but they are always palpable - assuming the horse will stand still.  First, locate the artery by slowly running your fingertips over the  back half of the fetlock, at the level of the seasamoid bones. When you pass over one of the paired arteries you will feel it roll under your fingertips.  They have a diameter similar to a pencil.  After locating the artery, rest your fingertips over it lightly and wait for the pulse. Have you taken your own pulse? It feels very similar but you have to get down through the hair to skin level.