Soft Ride boots for Sadie- Lavinia how to adjust for her

Lavinia, I am trying soft ride boots for Sadie to see if she will feel more comfortable in these and not get heel rubs.  I got a pair but need to return it because it is too big for her.  I noticed that the gel pad looks like there is a wedge to it and I called and talked to the rep who did indicate that it does have a slight wedge (the purple one) but she thought this would be best suited for founder.  There is also that gel area for the frog but she says some people take that out.

One of Sadie's big issues is too high heels and we are trying to address that so the last thing i need is to have her in a wedge pad, although the rep seemed to indicate that she will flatten it out when she walks.  But I am not comfortable with this unless you think it is okay.  Otherwise, how can I shave the wedge off and/or the frog area.

Thanks
--
June
Oregon, USA

Heidi Wright

June, I have had Soft Ride pour a custom flat pad for my founder horse, and then I take the frog off.  I think your horse needs to be on a flat pad.
--
Heidi Wright
joined Aug 15, 2018

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heidi%20and%20Skyler

June,
I have bought non-wedged pads from this company to replace wedge pads that came with the Easy Care Cloud boots that I bought when my horse developed laminitis. https://www.happyhoofpads.com/how-to-apply-happy-hoof-pads/

This link, https://www.happyhoofpads.com/shop/
lets you look at the variety of pad material that they have for sale. The #2 blue pad material is excellent to use inside of boots for a horse that need support and cushion. I bought this particular pad then trimmed it to fit inside of my horse's boots. The vendor sells square pad pieces, not shaped/trimmed pads. You can simply use the original pads that came with the boots that your have as a pattern for the new pads. I also eventually graduated my horse from therapuedic boots to riding boots once he was ready to begin exercise. I used a thinner pad material once he was wearing Easy Boots. The owner of happy hoof pads can help you with sizing and choice.She has the best range of hoof pads that I have found and they are economical.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

~NeanPiggy~

The Soft Ride YELLOW-ORANGE Orthotics (pads) are softer material in the back than in the front.  This allows for the heel do sink down lower thus voiding the wedge that the Soft Ride Boots have.  I use them with a lot of my clients that have a higher palmer angle or club feet.  The beauty of Soft Rides is they have the toe number which is awesome with horses that are already getting too much mechanical force on the toe from the elevated palmer angle.  Use Nippers to cut off the frog part.

The EasyCare Cloud pads also have a wedge in them.  Not a fan of them for most horses.

--
Jeannean, Cricket & Prince Willy Mercuri ~ PHCP/AHA Barefoot Trimmer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeannean%20and%20Prince%20Willy/Cricket/Cricket%20Case%20History.pdf

Thanks Jeannean.  What is meant by the 'toe number.'  When I talked to the rep at Soft Ride, I was told that the purple gel that comes with the boot is the softest.  I was also thinking about the yellow-orange one but I think she told me the gel is harder?  Even though this works on your clients, would they also work for a mini who doesn't weight much?  Sadie is probably close to 220 lbs.
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

Agree to that for sure.  I can call them and ask.  I should be getting the boots shortly to replace the larger size I ordered.  Thanks.
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

Thank you Bonnie for another good resource.  I appreciate it!
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

~NeanPiggy~

Sorry June, that should have said Toe Bumper!  The front of the pad has a padded lip/edge/rim.  I feel that helps the dorsal hoof wall when they move.  The Yellow/Orange pad is softer in the heel and firmer at the toe.  The heel sinks into the softer gel.  I have had my pony x-rayed in them and that pad negated the wedge on him. He foundered on all four 6 years ago has some bone loss in P3 and thin soles.  But his hinds have the standard gel.  He gets sensitive on frozen ground and down hill.  I have not had the opportunity to play with another horse getting rads.  The purple is the softest and it comes standard on the smaller sizes. Turquoise is standard on the horse sizes.  I have never used the yellow/orange orthotic on a mini.  My pony is about 800# and then I have used it on normal size horses.  His new Soft Rides will be here tomorrow, I did not get the yellow/orange this time.

I wish you could send the boots back to them to get new cordura and velcro instead of having to buy new boots.  I have already taken them to the local cobbler who attached deer skin to them to fix the tears.  I don't think they can get fixed up again.

--
Jeannean, Cricket & Prince Willy Mercuri ~ PHCP/AHA Barefoot Trimmer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeannean%20and%20Prince%20Willy/Cricket/Cricket%20Case%20History.pdf
Ridge, NY 2011

I called Soft Rides and they said the yellow/orange gel pad would not work as intended on a mini because the gel is harder than the purple one that comes with the mini size boots and they just don't have enough weight to work on anything other than the softest purple gel pad.

Also, they are no longer able to do custom flat gel pads.

I am actually trying to have Sadie go bootless outside even though I know booting is recommended for founder recovery but her soles have been just so darn hard and unyielding no matter what soaking I do that it is almost impossible for anybody (vet, trimmer) to make any headway.  Being out there in the rain and mud bootless  is the only thing that seems to make a dent in her hard soles.  She has been comfortable enough to do that since the last trim, but I do want boots on hand for when she is too uncomfortable without boots, and the Soft Rides is my last option.  Unfortunately, there are not many options for boots for minis.  I have already tried the Easy Care boots and Cavellos for minis and they both end up creating heel rubs.

thank you all for the suggestions.
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

Lorna Cane

Have you tried  Pleasant Ridge Saddlery, June ?
https://pleasantridge.ca

--

Lorna , Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Bobbie Day

Hi
Although my horse is not a mini , she’s a small Rocky Mountain horse. She has more than one pair of soft rides 😊
Since we’ve been following the trims suggested here she is one size smaller. She has both the purple, and the turquoise/blue pairs and I actually cut out the frog build up. What I do however, is put her in socks and the thicker pairs go in when they’re getting a little sloppy. She also has clouds but she is very attached to her soft rides. We have left them off but when the ground freezes she wants them on. And I also duct tape them to keep the mud out.
If you can find the right size I am certain they’ll help your mini.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

No I  haven't.  I will check them out. Thanks.
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

Hi Bobbie...Sadie only weighs about 220 lbs if that and according to the rep at Soft Ride, only the purple gel is soft enough that is will work for a mini.  In any event, there are only 2 sizes for minis...a size 9 and a size 10.  First I bought the size 9 but now that her feet have been trimmed down, they are way too big for her.  They sent me a size 10 to try as a replacement, but this is way too small.  So looks like the Soft Rides are out for Sadie unfortunately.  The size 9s are just too big even to pad as they are like clunkers on her feet.
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

Bonnie

June, this might sound crazy...Reading online about training mini horses as guides for the blind, I learned that some people get shoes from Build A Bear and adapt them for their little horses. Might be some protection while you scout "real" boots.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Bonnie

Here is a link to show the shoes in use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Dzda1_9B8
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Bonnie

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 04:31 PM, Bonnie wrote:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Dzda1_9B8

Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario
Dec 2008

Bonnie

and here is a link to videos showing how to adapt the shoes for minis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaR1WVVO5g
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Great idea Bonnie...I will look into these. Thanks
--
June
Oregon, USA
Oct 2012
Case Histories for Sadie and Chip
Sadie's Photos
Chip's Photos

~NeanPiggy~

Another boot that works great for Minis is the Equine Fusion.  You will need to purchase padding from EasyCare or "XX" since their Dampening Pads are not supportive enough for founder.  They make a few small sizes and are easy on/off.  I would use them over Build a Bear Boots personally.  They are not as stiff as the EasyCare or Cavallo Mini boots.  Measure your hoof in mm.  and look at their size chart. 90mm is the smallest I believe.
--
Jeannean, Cricket & Prince Willy Mercuri ~ PHCP/AHA Barefoot Trimmer
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jeannean%20and%20Prince%20Willy/Cricket/Cricket%20Case%20History.pdf
Ridge, NY 2011

Pat Gauvreau <pgauvreau@...>

Hi June. Hope this gets to you.

I have never had any rubbing using Equine Fusion Jogging Boots made in Norway. They are light weight and soft nylon around the ankle. I used them for mountain trail rides years ago and then when my mare got laminitis she wore them with absolutely no rubbing ever. You must get the correct fit from measuring hoof after a trim so not too big. I put my own made pads for comfort using anti fatigue pads in the soles. These are quite thick so allow for a bit more space for pads. They come in regular or thin widths so take good measurements for best fit. Also easy to wash. They have several types but I recommend the red jogging ones for no rubbing issues.
--
Pat and Savannah
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Savannah
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=22028&p=pcreated,,,50,2,0,0