Subject: [ECIR] Thriving pets moving?
To: main@ECIR.groups.io
Date: Friday, October 21, 2016, 1:46 PM

I just got a message from
Thriving Pets that they are moving at the end of Oct and
will be closed for approx. 2 months. I usually only order 1
months supply of pergoilide caps, they are suggesting
stocking up while they are closed.
Is this affecting anyone else and if so, what are you
planning on doing?
Thanks,Cathy M, Natalie &
BuddyMinnesota

LJ Friedman

I know in the retail pharmacy arena for people, a pharmacy can call another pharmacy , at the request of the customer, to have the prescription  transferred over to them... rather than getting your vet involved, perhaps this might work with these pharmacies as well?  just a thought..
--
LJ Friedman San Diego Nov 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/LJ%20and%20Jesse/Jesse%20Case%20History.doc

Claudia Goodman

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have also been using Thriving Pets for a couple of years. Just ordered next month’s supply and did NOT get any message from them about change in pergolide capsule availability. However, if one goes to their homepage, it contains this message:

"ThrivingPets will continue to supply over-the-counter medications and supplies but will no longer partner with EverPet Pharmacy to fulfill prescription medications as of November 1st, 2016."
Many clients may not not see this when they order… I would not have if I didn’t go looking for it.

One of the things I really liked about Thriving Pets its being able to get the required exact dose in a single capsule.  Would love to know of any other pharmacy that does the same?

Claudia & Silhouette 2014

--

Claudia & Silhouette  02/2014

California Central Coast

Silhouette Case History

Lorna Cane

I don't know for sure,Claudia,but I would imagine they all do this.

Just check with whoever you decide to use.
--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 08:55 pm, LJ Friedman wrote:
I know in the retail pharmacy arena for people, a pharmacy can call another pharmacy , at the request of the customer, to have the prescription  transferred over to them... rather than getting your vet involved, perhaps this might work with these pharmacies as well?  just a thought..

A very good thought too.  Ethically, the pharmacy should do this without question.  In fact, they should offer to do it if unable to fill your prescription.  If you do request a transfer of your prescription, be sure to check that it actually gets done and give the new pharmacy a heads up to look for it.

grandmalynn44

Unfortunately I already was talked into ordering a 3 month supply of pergolide by someone who called me from ThrivingPets. He called just after I had placed a 30 day refill order to tell me of the move ThrivingPets was making. Will I be dealing with degraded pergolide? I keep it refrigerated in the original container that I place in another tightly capped jar.
Lynn and Mica 2011
in N. CA

Sent from my iPhone

Tina Martin

I have been calling some pharmacies on our list to check on pricing since I need a backup plan.   Mimi, BCP Vet. Pharmacy is not on the list but I called and they will not price pergolide without having a script first (which defeats the purpose of pricing).  So, what are you paying for your pergolide? What strength?

Wedgewood and Veterinary Pharmacies of America also want the script first. :(

Creative Compounds has closed over a year ago and the pharmacy which answers their number does not do veterinary medications.

Island Pharmacy in Canada requires a script from a Canadian vet and will not ship across the border to the US.

Pet Health Pharmacy provided pricing but is more expensive than Thriving Pets.

Petscripts can supply 36mg in one capsule and promised a callback with pricing today.

Does anybody know of other options?  Since Rio is on 36mg AM and 8mg PM now I really have to check prices first before ordering and cannot possibly have my vet send scripts to three pharmacies or more.  I consider myself lucky that he doesn't balk at writing a script for such a high dosage to begin with.

--
Tina, May 2011

Ellijay GA

Rio Case History

cathyjomitchell

Thanks for this update. Please post again when you get updates. Price and service are equally important to me as my mare is on 20 mgs

. I had to change vets a while ago and my new vet is not as easy to work with as the old, but is an excellent vet, so I have to use caution when changing things up.

cathyjomitchell

I just spoke with Pet Health, asked them lots of questions. As they are on the group list, and at least for my horses, price wasn't a lot different, I think I will be going with them. Otherwise I will drive myself even crazier trying to find a new pharmacy.

Ernie <kbarranch@...>

Hi Mimi,

I called BCP, they won't give me a price for their product without sending them a prescription first.  My vet charges me to call in a prescription or write a script.  So will you tell me what you pay for pergolide caps?

Thanks
--
Ernie 7-2016

Brazoria County, Texas

Cheyenne

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Ernie%20and%20Cheyenne

Tina Martin

Derrick from Petscripts called back with pricing as promised.  He was very nice but the price was way more (60%) than Thriving Pets charges. He said they do not order that much pergolide mesylate from their wholeseller.  So, my plan is to order two months worth of pergolide from Thriving Pets and I will keep my fingers crossed that they will be back in business the beginning of 2017.  If not, I will use Pet Health Pharmacy since they were only 15% more expensive.

By the way, Derrick told me that it is illegal for pharmacies to require scripts before quoting prices. Interesting...

--
Tina, May 2011

Ellijay GA

Rio Case History

Nancy C

It is not unusual for pharmacies to want to have an Rx before quoting price.

If you google list of veterinary compounding pharmacies you will find many not listed on ECIR. That does not mean they are not good and reliable, just that their names have not come up here before.

We re compiling a list of questions that may be of help to members when talking with pharmacies:

  • Ask if the pharmacy is licensed in your state.
  • Ask it they will share Certificate of Analysis for viability of the compound.

  • If unable to fill an existing prescription, one may ask for transfer to another pharmacy. If you do request a transfer of your prescription, be sure to check that it actually gets done and give the new pharmacy a heads up to look for it.
  • Will the pharmacy compound the specific dosage you need
  • Are they members of any accrediting organizations/boards such as PCAB (Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board)
  • Have they had any action taken against them for compounding issues? If so, for what and how was that resolved
  • What is their turnaround time for filling scripts
  • How do they ship, what is cost and transit time

    --
    Nancy C in NH
    www.ECIRhorse.org

Judy L. Meadows <marktime@...>

CFSpharmacy.com shipping from New Jersey quoted me a price about the same as Thriving Pets, but it was for 100 capsules, with two-day free shipping to Missouri.   My capsules from Thriving Pets had a six-month expiration date, though I have only ordered 60 pills at a time.  The powder only had a 30-day expiration date when I have gotten that for titering up.  Won't capsules keep  well when refrigerated?

Judy & Rudy
SWMO

Judy in Southwest Missouri
Rudy
10/30/14

By the way, Could one use one of those vacuum food storage things to store the second month's worth of pills?

Nancy C

Research that is basis of our recommendation showed 90 percent efficacy at 30 days for capsules.

Stanley, SD, DiMaio Knych H, Comparison of Pharmaceutical Equivalence for Compounded Preparations of Pergolide Mesylate http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaep/2010/z9100110000274.pdf

--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Nancy C

RE-writing some things, so went to double check on the link I just sent.  Here's quote:

If one can disregard this concern, the products appearing to be the most stable are the solid materials (powders and capsules). Only 3 of 14 (21%) of the liquid products were above the required potency after 15 days, and all products were subpotent by 30 days.  Conversely, the solid products showed better stability, with five of seven products that started at acceptable potency still at 90% after 30 days (the other two products were only slightly below the required potency).

--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Lisa S

Tina,

Could you just get a paper script from your vet, and then transmit it yourself to each of the pharmacies? Then you could do the legwork!

I am not familiar with all of the pharmacies listed but have found both Wedgewood and VPA to be reasonable in the past. Have you investigated Roadrunner (AZ)? Not sure about their pricing but they are a very large veterinary compounding pharmacy.

Someone just posted a great checklist when shopping for a new compounding pharmacy -- I am going to make a copy of it for future use! I know that those on high doses must be very careful with their $$, but at the same time, it is essential to insure we are using reputable pharmacies with good track records to avoid problems with product potency.

--
Lisa 2010-06

NE TX

Zippy (IR) https://ECIR.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lisa%20and%20Zippy%20-%20Bunny%20-%20Rita

Bunny, and Rita - IR

Nancy C

Amen Lisa

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:48 pm, Lisa S wrote:

it is essential to insure we are using reputable pharmacies with good track records to avoid problems with product potency.

--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Judy L. Meadows <marktime@...>

That is rather discouraging research about pergolide efficacy over time.  But, what is one to do?  I suppose Prascend is more stable, but I cannot afford 4 mg of that a day.  I had better stick to ordering 30 compounded capsules at a time after this.

--
Judy in Southwest Missouri
Rudy

Nancy C