Resuming exercise

Cheryl Oickle

Jewel has been recovering very well since her lamanitic episodes in June then again in October.   Her hoof capsules have grown out approximately 75 percent and most of her laminar wedge is gone.
 She is moving at liberty in her pen and being walked up to fourty minutes at a time with no residual issue. No pulses palpable and no lameness. She’s turning well in the barn when I need her to.She will be rexrayed in late March. When is a reasonable time to up her exercise to longing to a trot/ canter in a round pen....increasing to ponying on a flat surface ...with boots on of course.
My goal is to ride her by mid April if nothing unforeseen and she tolerated my plans as above.

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

You should just pass on lunging or any circular work. I've read this over and over again about laminitis and pretty much any other sort of leg/hoof injury. Circles cause uneven loading of the hoof structures. This is also good advice for recovery of nearly any soft tissue injury also. Just my opinion but I have read the same advice from numerous sources. Stick to straight lines, trail riding or in the arena. Ponying is a great way to exercise a horse, ideally outdoors. I know you have lots of wet weather to deal with where you live which doesn't make it easy.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Nancy C

Hi Cheryl. Glad you are having rads done next month. Agree with Bonnie that circles at best need to be approached with caution

You may find this page on exercise from ecirhorse.org to be helpful. https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-exercise.php

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Recent pictures and the new rads will help answer this question, Agree no circles.

Cheryl Oickle

Farrier/trimmer out next week. Will post new pics

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018