Poll on Losing Weight - Please Respond #poll

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Have the ECIR guidelines of feeding 2% of ideal weight or 1.5% of current weight worked for you in trying to reduce your IR horse's or pony's weight?

Results

See Who Responded

Maxine McArthur

I'm not sure I ticked the right box--horse or pony?
Indy is 14hh, three-quarter Arab one-quarter Welsh D. She eats and puts on weight like a pony (quickly and efficiently, on very little feed), but thinks and rides like a horse. (And she believes she is 17hh, it's just that nobody else has noticed yet.)
--
Maxine and Indy (PPID)

Canberra, Australia 2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Maxine%20and%20Indy

Bonnie

This is a bad time of year for that question, at least for Canadians. Weather here may be just above freezing one day but 20 below the next. There have been 3 weeks of wind chill minus 35 recently. (Blast that polar vortex!) So the extra food gets handed out.
In summertime, the 2 % works for this pony.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

jmc

FWIW, YES not only for my horse who IS IR, but for the slightly chubby mini mule as well (who isn't tested or suspected of IR, just likes to eat) - I suspect she's actually at a proper weight now, though it's hard to tell under all that hair. I believe making sure the ESC+starch is low (6.7%) made the difference, last year my hay was untested (and "much tastier", per the equines) and weight loss was negligible, even with 2% of ideal weight.
--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Cheryl Oickle

Jewel was never overweight but once I obtained analysed hay, I was feeding at 1.5 percent of her body weight. She lost a lot of weight.  I increased to 2 per cent and had to increase again to have her plateau in three months We have had an exceptionally cold month and a half here in Southern BC and forage has been increased to keep her weight stable
--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Cheryl Oickle

--Oops apologies.Please ignore my last comment. I need to read the questions more thoroughly.  I was obviously under feeding my horse on the analysed hay hence the weight loss. Ideal weight 800 lb by tape should be baseline 16 # to maintain. I was feeding 15 of low sugar! She was never over weight to weight loss was not intended.I increased to 18 lb and that’s over 2 per cent to a slow weight gain to ideal of 800#. She is thriving at 17# now a day.
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

mokuchta@...

I checked no because in the winter my horse doesn't need to lose weight. I give her whatever she will eat ant try to keep it low sugar.
--
Maureen
November 2018

I have found with Kyra that she loses at more than 2 percent of body weight (20-22 lbs.day for an ideal weight of 900 lbs.). 18 lbs. day just stresses her out too much and she doesn't lose anything and is miserable.  This winter she has been getting 24-26 lbs./day to deal with the cold and hasn't gained weight.  Josie is maintaining her weight of 925 at 17 lbs. of TC Timothy balance cubes and 12 lbs. hay/day.  She's also blanketed at below 32F with wool socks and shipping boots at below 20F.  She's dealing with the cold a lot better this winter with more weight.
--
Helen, Josie and Kyra
May 2016

-- I forgot to say that the hay is soaked for 1 hour in cold water.
Helen, Josie and Kyra
May 2016
Brunswick, VT, USA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Josie
Josie's Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=22630
Kyra's Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1370

Jackie W

It does work for my Fjord, but it is hard to do. She scarfs down 5 lbs in an hour (even in the smallest nibblenet holes) and then she stands for 4-5 hours with nothing and then the cycle starts over, and at night it's ~8 hours with nothing. I am rethinking putting her out with the muzzle in the morning (mostly bahia) just so it's slower and keeps her moving and busy longer. I am using tested hay, but it's beautiful soft orchard.  I'd really like to use coastal bermuda at least part time because it's not as tasty and would likely last longer, but there are no consistent sources to make a test worthwhile and the starch could be a problem.
--
Jackie and Megan
Palm Bay, FL

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Megan

Lorna Cane

Hi Jackie,

Very frustrating,I know.
How small are the holes,in inches?

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator

Jackie W

1.25"; the bag is the kind with the webbing. I tried hay chix with 1" and that was a little slower, but she made a hole somehow within a week. I really think the hay is too soft and fine.  I just got the results back from another hay, Canadian timothy, that's supposed to all come from the same farm and is much coarser and I am reviewing it now. Thanks!
--
Jackie and Megan
Palm Bay, FL
Joined March 2018

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Megan

Lorna Cane

Hi Jackie,

Some nets are even 1/2 inch. Might be helpful.

Not webbing,though. Nylon ,  like hockey nets.
In fact,lots of us use hockey nets.
They'll last for years, holes being easily repaired.
And holes can always be laced closed with baler twine,or nylon cord (thin).

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator
2002
https://ecir.gro
ups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Marilyn

My horse was not overweight when we started so I didn't participate in the survey.
--
Marilyn
July 2008, Downsville, Louisiana

Annette

I can't fill in an answer on the poll since I haven't needed to try to reduce Alley's weight.  Most of my horses/ponies are Welsh, Connemara and their crosses so prone to IR. For many years, I have fed them at a rate of about 2% of their ideal body weight, and a small amount of no-grain feed to carry their vitamins and minerals. I may increase that in a cold winter, or reduce it if I see a pony is gaining too much on it. I see 2% as a good starting point, then after that adjustments will depend on the weather, the hay quality, and the pony.
--
Annette and Alley
October 2018, Moscow, Idaho