Topics

2 months after initial laminitis episode

W.phyllis60@...

I am caretaker for a 16h Tennessee Walker mare that developed laminitis early August. She is obese (fatty deposits at withers and base of tail and cresty neck) and owner had her on sweet feed as well. She had access to grass pasture but spent most of her time on a partial alfalfa pasture. At the onset I immediately took her off pasture and sweet feed. She was very sore so had her on 2g bute a day. She is now off bute completely. Initial trim after onset seemed to provide some pain relief but most recent trim, 2 weeks ago, she is very sore again. Left front showed some sole bruising and right front has separated lamina. She does not hoof test sore and has very thick soles. I have recently put her in therapy boots that I had for my own horse (old injury) which seemed to help some. Vet was out to see her and confirmed laminitis but owner refused to pay for radiographs so I’m trying to figure out if I am doing the right things...what else I can possibly do for her...is this typical 2 months in? She is on grass hay and has lost weight since being inside. She gets 20 lbs of hay per day. Should I be soaking it? Should I have it tested? Any advice or guidance would be most appreciated! I feel so badly for her and with my limited resources I’m not sure what else to do.
Thanks so much!
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020

Sherry Morse

W.phyllis60@...

Hi Sherry,
This is a lot of information and I am still trying to process it all.  I created my case history and uploaded today.  I have no pictures yet but will try to get those soon.  I will also try and get hay tested in the near future.  In the last couple days Patches has really improved and is the best I have seen her without any bute.  She is moving pretty freely in her stall where before she hesitated to move.  She still occasionally favors the right front but nothing like she was. The right front had separated lamina whereas the left front does not.  This all happened within a couple days.  Is this typical? Assume I should keep her stalled for the time being and continue with the feeding schedule I have her on unless i hear otherwise from your group.  In the meantime, I will continue reading all of the information on this website.
Thanks so much
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020

Sherry Morse

To do that:
1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window that has your signature in it

3) Add the link to your case history folder and make sure you make it "live". Adding a space after your link or hitting enter on your keyboard will turn it blue.

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

That way we can easily find this information.  Once you add pictures you'll update your signature again the same way.

If you have a dry lot and Patches is comfortable moving around there's no reason that she can't be let out to move about as she wants UNLESS she's acting up and doing herself more damage because she's feeling so much better.  In that case we recommend a smaller area but movement is really helpful to keep circulation going, decrease other soundness issues and even some movement can help with weight loss as needed.

As far as the current feeding program - without knowing her ideal and current weight there's no way for us to know if 20lbs is enough, too much or too little.  If she needs to lose more weight and she's losing it on that amount then it's probably ok.  If she's not losing weight and needs to, then she needs less...

Is she still being fed the Triumph and the Essential K?  At 8% fat and 33% Sugar + starch the Triumph would blow the feet off most horses on this group (if not most horses in general) so if she's even possibly IR that shouldn't be fed.  The Essential K is also unsuitable for a suspected IR horse with a sugar+starch of 12.5% and a fat content of 6% so she should be off of that as well.

If you could post trim pictures ASAP Lavinia may be able to get you markups before the next farrier visit.  I would guess you're seeing white line separation in her foot?

W.phyllis60@...

Hi Sherry,
Patches is no longer on the Triumph feed. I took her off that and switched to Essential K at the onset August 1 per the recommendation of my vet. I plan to look for Stabul 1 to see if I can get her switched to that. She has lost weight on the 20 lbs of grass hay per day. I suspect she’s lost around 30 to 40 pounds since the laminitis onset. I’m not sure how to weigh her and I have no way to know what her ideal weight is so any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. Maybe you will have a better idea once I get her pictures out there. I have a small indoor sand arena that she could be on but not sure how to block off a small area. She cannot be trusted to not be rambunctious since she is feeling better. I took her out of the stall for the first time in probably 2 weeks today and was hand walking her on the sand. She tried to rear and prance when my horse came to the window. I know a small area would be the only way to contain her. Absent that, handwalking in the arena would maybe work while my horse is outside? I will work on getting pics out there. Thanks so much for your help! I would love to have trim advice if we can manage that since I feel like that was a setback last time. Yes, she does have white line separation on the right front only.
Thank you!
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Phyllis%20and%20Patches

Sherry Morse

Hi Phyllis,

I would recommend just stopping the Essential K at this point.  If you're using it as a carrier for supplements it can be replaced with rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp.  As far as determining weight and ideal weight we have a couple of resources:

We usually let the horses dictate the turnout - if you put her out in the arena and she bucks around a bit but then settles and isn't sore she's ok to be out on her own.  I personally have found that walking in hand can be much more exciting than just letting them be on their own so that's just something to keep in mind.

W.phyllis60@...

Thanks Sherry, I will work on the weight. Can you please check the link below for my photos? My link looks different than yours.
Thank you!
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Phyllis%20and%20Patches
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255382&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Sherry Morse

Hi Phyllis,

I noticed the other day that we had somebody with 2 different photo links but they both went to the same spot.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255382 is also your album, but I'm not sure why both links are different yet still work.

As far as the photos - I see room for improvement in the trim but Lavinia is the expert on those so you'll want to do a post that says something like "Hoof Mark Up Request" so she knows it's for her.

Weight-wise Patches doesn't look too bad here - how does her crest feel though?  Soft and moveable or hard as a rock, somewhere in between?  That may be the best judge of how controlled her IR is at this point.

W.phyllis60@...

Hi Sherry,
I will put a request out there for markups. I added two more pics of the sole. They are probably not as clean as you would like. I scrubbed with a wire brush so hopefully they are clean enough for analysis. If not I will try again.

She has lost some weight but never really had a big belly in my opinion. I think the vet and others called her obese due to the crest and fatty deposits. She used to have fairly large fatty deposits at the base of her tail which have decreased significantly since she’s been inside on the grass hay diet. The crest used to be hard as a rock but has also decreased in size. I wouldn’t say it is soft and moveable but is not hard either.

Thanks again for all your help.
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Phyllis%20and%20Patches
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255382&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

W.phyllis60@...

Hi Sherry,
Using the weight calculator I came up with 1251 as her weight. Currently I suspect her body score is somewhere between 5 and 6, probably closer to 6.
i have been putting her out on the sand arena for the last couple days. She is out for about 3 hours a day while my horse is on pasture. She seems fine when walking in a straight line but occasionally (not always) seems to favor the right front when she turns. And you were right, she does a little bucking and then mostly walks around. Do you think it’s ok for me to continue letting her out?
Thanks!
--
Phyllis W in OH 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Phyllis%20and%20Patches
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=255382&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Sherry Morse

Hi Phyllis,

If she's not any worse after being out I'd be inclined to continue allowing her out to move around.  It sounds like she's self regulating at this point which is a good thing.