Topics

2nd Post-Pre-mixing supplements

millionairess1989

Are there any supplements that shouldn't be mixed together ahead of time?

Right now Mill and her IR stable mate Jack get flax and salt together with a little bit of hay cubes mixed a week at a time with Vitamin E added when fed.

Jack has been having some respiratory issues so I'm thinking about putting him on some additional supplements: spirulina, J- herb, chondroitin, possibly Vitamin C, magnesium and / or N-acetyl cystine.

Will any of these combinations be a problem?
--
Jennifer & Mill & Jack
Middle TN  2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Hi, Jennifer - this is such a good question! The only thing I know for sure is that flax has a tendency to oxidize (go rancid) when exposed to some of the minerals (like copper sulfate). On the other hand, lots of commercial and custom mixes are made up with the flax already added.  The flax and salt should be fine. I can't give you a firm answer on the others, especially N-acetyl cysteine, as I don't know how sensitive it is.

Sorry - not much help!
--
Jaini
Merlin and Maggie (over the bridge), Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .

Deb Walker

Jennifer - I was buying what is available in a stabilized version from around here, our local store, Farm and Fleet. But it was expensive. I just finished up the last of the F&F stuff, and am now grinding flax seed every day. I only grind enough for the PM and AM feeding at a time so as not to have a rancid/non-stable condition.

But I too am interested in how long it could be ground/stabilized, if I *EVER* find a horse sitter and could go away and make up supplements in advance.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

millionairess1989

Jaini and Deb,

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else with thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

--
Jennifer & Mill & Jack
Middle TN  2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Unless temperatures are extreme or there is exposure to light you should be OK with these for a week at a time although personally I'd probably mix the flax with the E for separate addition.

millionairess1989

Thanks Dr. Kellon. That's good to know.

I usually put the flax in the container first, followed by a layer of crushed hay cubes, then salt. Vitamin E is added at feeding time.