Topics

2nd request Metformin

Amy

Asking again.  Metformin has worked for my guy, but I'm wondering if it will continue?

Planning on new bloodwork in the near future.  I'd love for it to work, but starting to see a Cresty neck (slowly) again, even though diet is extremely tight and exercise is continuing.

Thanks
--
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album

Amy

Sorry.  I tried to tag my other post.  Didn't work.

My original question was does metformin work short term or long term?  It did work at the beginning,  will it be a life long thing or is there a point where it stops working and I take him off?  Do I wean him off or?
Thanks
--
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album

LJ Friedman

if you do a search on this site. metformin.  it is often noted that its efficacy is temporary in nature.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Amy

I've searched and see that it can be only temporary , but others have kept their horses on it for a long time.

I was just curious if it can have long time affects?  I'll be getting bloodwork probably in February and see where his insulin numbers are.  If they are still controlled then I'll have to decide if it's a good idea to take him off and retest or just keep him on it.  I feel like if its working don't change protocol,  but I also dont want to spend the money and keep using a syringe 2 times a day if I dont have to.  I already have to use a syringe to get his pergilode in as he can't be trusted to eat his grain as he only eats that a few times a week.

I guess I'm lucky that he doesn't put a fight since I syringe 3 times a day.

Thanks