Feeding frequency

Cheryl Oickle

i have been feeding hay in three small meals daily..7 12 and 6., often spread through out her paddock in small piles to encourage movement or in a one inch hole haynet if weather torrentially raining.   I board, and it’s often difficult to arrange the noon feed.  She has stabilized nicely on the analysed hay and I am redoin g blood work in late March. What is everyone’s experiences to feed twice daily instead? I have seen conflicting information on insulin levels if too long without hay.  At present she goes all night without feed as her last one is at 6pm., she is no worse for wear and
-- this has been the routine at barns everywhere in this area.   jewel cannot have free choice, she has no full switch
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

celestinefarm

Cheryl,
Is there any reason she can't have a hay net during the night? Is she stalled at night?
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lorismorgans

It has been my experience,  the more frequent meals the happier, stable weight horse. My Ab would pick at poop, dirt, anything when fed twice day a day. It was nerve wracking. All my horses improved when I spit hay into smaller more frequent feedings. Weight stayed off .
Hope this helps

Lori

--
Lori  Able & Bodie

2016

Redding,CA

hhttps://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lori%20and%20Able%20-%20Bodie

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6053&p=Name,,,50,2,0,0 .

Paula Hancock

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 02:53 PM, Cheryl Oickle wrote:
What is everyone’s experiences to feed twice daily instead? I have seen conflicting information on insulin levels if too long without hay.
Hi Cheryl,
It's not so much about how many times a day you feed as it is how much of the time she has hay to eat.  Using hay pillows and/or slow feed hay bags can make hay last much longer and is better for gut and insulin and emotional well being.  Multiple bags helps to slow them down as well.  Experiment and see what works for you both.

--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (ir/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Remy

Paula Hancock

Another option which is very popular with my horses is putting the timothy balance cubes in a Nose-it ball (Kick-it ball in Cory's case!).