Can cooking flavors be given to horses?

Theresa Schroeder

My horse ate his pergolide in a handful of his normal BP/timothy mix at the start but he is catching on and started not taking it anymore. I started dissolving the pill and squirting it in his mouth. He isnt`t fussy about it but he obviously dislikes it. Must taste awful.

Im trying to find flavors that he may like to either make a treat to give after squirting the pill water in his mouth, or mix it in the syringe to make things more pleasant so he doesn`t sour to this routine.

I know Uckele sells treats and various flavorings but he`s so picky, I want to try flavors so I dont end up with a bunch of stuff he doesn`t like.

Are baking/cooking flavors okay to use? I`m not sure if the fact that they are suspended in alcohol is an issue.

What about using koolaid drink powder packets? No added sugars are in those.

Any teas besides peppermint tea?

He's never liked apples or carrots so those flavors ate out. He likes peppermint, sometimes.

I tried the peanut shells and such suggested in the picky eater file. He spit them all out. No pill was added during the taste tests.
--
Theresa Joined 12/11/18 from Kansas

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Theresa%20and%20Twister

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=80189&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0  .

Paula Hancock

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 01:01 PM, Theresa Schroeder wrote:
My horse ate his pergolide in a handful of his normal BP/timothy mix at the start but he is catching on and started not taking it anymore. I started dissolving the pill and squirting it in his mouth.
Hi Theresa,
Are you using Prascend?  If so, you might try putting it into an empty gelatin capsule before offering it in a treat.  I put 1/4 cup Stabul 1 feed pellets with some timothy balance cube crumbles in a little pile in a feed pan, make a little depression in the center and put pergolide in there.  So far, this has worked well.  Just Stabul 1 worked for a while, but two of the horses got a taste of the pill, so had to rework it.
You can do a search for pergolide+treat and find some options that members have tried.  There was a recent discussion starting here:
You are smart to try the "treats" with no meds first.  It can be challenging to find what works.
 You might contact Uckele to see if they would provide samples to test.  I tried different flavor samples of Stabul1 from Anderson Feed, but in truth, my guys like all of them.
You want to avoid sugars in whatever you use.  A very small amount of alcohol shouldn't be a problem.
--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (ir/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Remy

Theresa Schroeder

Thanks, Paula. I am using Prascend and actually have been putting it in a gel capsule from the begining because I did read that in the forums early on.

It's unfortunate that I'm pretty limited in options from our feed store. They carry Nutrena and Standlee only. The closest Triple Crown dealer was 51 miles away when I tried locating TC Balance Cubes so we are using Standlee products. I use soaked alfalfa cubes as a treat with a pill but once again, doesn`t work consistently. Need more things he likes to change it up and keep him interested.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 05:07 AM, Theresa Schroeder wrote:
It's unfortunate that I'm pretty limited in options from our feed store.
Hi Theresa,
If you are only using small amounts, you can order Stabul 1 and have it shipped to you for free.
https://shop.nuzufeed.com/products/stabul-1-feed-20lb

--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (ir/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Remy

Lynn

Hi Theresa,
Beet-e-Bites Equipockets in peppermint work like a charm for Relevante. (https://beetebites.com/equipockets/) He also did very well with stuffing the capsule inside a dried prune.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Theresa Schroeder

Thanks Paula! I'll maybe be able to rotate through those flavors, if he likes them that is, Twister has become so suspicious he wouldn't even give the banana flavor food I made a try. His nickname is Twister Turd for a reason.
--
Theresa Joined 12/11/18 from Kansas

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Theresa%20and%20Twister

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=80189&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0  .

Theresa Schroeder

Thanks Lynn, I looked into Beet E Bites but they are a little too rich for my wallet and I'm not convinced peppermint holds enough interest for him. He never takes the same thing twice and that included peppermint.

I tried prunes and he spit it out (no pill in it yet).