Hay supply from year to year.

jmc

I know weather and other factors will affect hay... but how much?  I found a good hay supplier last year (finally) but wasn't able to test the hay until after delivery (7 tons). I expect the same issue this year... can I reasonably expect the same hay, from the same part of the same field (the edges of a certified hay field, which cannot be certified), will have similar values from year to year?

The analysis from last year's hay is in my files, the NSC was 10.5% and ESC +starch around 6.7%, if I remember correctly.

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

celestinefarm

Jodi, that's been my experience. I have been buying hay from the same fields for ten years. While nutrient value stays within the same parameters close enough that I don't need to change my balancing much at all, what can change is the NDF. If you have a very late cutting due to weather constraints, the NDF will go up and make the hay less palatable. That can be a problem if you order well ahead of cutting and baling and are locked into a contract to buy.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Paula Hancock

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 01:50 PM, jmc wrote:
can I reasonably expect the same hay, from the same part of the same field (the edges of a certified hay field, which cannot be certified), will have similar values from year to year?
Hi Jodi,
The mineral content may be the same, unless fields were fertilized.  There is no telling what the ESC + starch will be.  It depends more on temperature, sunlight, time of day than on what field it grew on.

--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (ir/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014