Nancy & Akria

Pauline <takarri@...>

Hi Nancy,


Please don’t stress over this- we weren’t born knowing this stuff & you have done the best you can by Akria with the knowledge you have. Now is the time to move a few steps forward with the knowledge & support you are about to gain..


A reasonable taper off for the Thyrol l would be at 75% of original dose for 2 weeks, then 50%, then 25% then off. I have asked for the team to jump in regarding when/how to retest.


Next move is to start filling out a case history for her- with previous (& when available- new) blood test results, plus the other information required on the form. That way we can be more specific in how we approach her care. If you need a hand with the case hx form- let me know.




Geelong. Vic

Australia Aug 07

ECIR Mod/Primary Response


 Harry, Jack and Spur's Case Histories   

Pauline <takarri@...>

I am posting this on behalf of Nancy & Akria-( Pauline- ECIR mod/pr)

I am a bit overwhelmed right now honestly as I thought I was doing the right thing. I moved to a very rural remote area and even getting a vet to listen to test her at age 4 when she showed all the signs was a struggle. That is how I encountered Dr. Reilly. My vet wanted to wait til she was older to test her. So far I have prevented founder and major far as the Thyro I am terrified..after her initial 24 mg dose she never lost weight so it was doubled Oct 2017. She has been on it ever since. My current vet who does the testing has never addressed it. I just had labs pulled yesterday and I am waiting for the test results. the meantime do I start weaning her? And the literature says to wean slowly...but what does that actually amount to and over how much time? Also do I need to retest during the time I am weaning off? 

I was about to start her on 15 min of muzzled hand grazing on Monday....I have had her successfully on pasture April through October in a muzzle with turnout now I am a bit terrified....The one horse I had several years ago that developed EMS was on a dry lot after her first bout of laminitis when she foundered a 2nd time and had to be euthanized. She was also muzzled when she develope it the first time although it was during a drought and I hadn't know about EMS and drought stress at that is how I saw Akira's train wreck coming down the tracks.

I have already switiched her off of Essential K to Beet Pulp and added a supplement by HorseTech High Point Grass along with her ground flaxseed. 

Any guidance on weaning of the thryoid meds is much appreciated. And advice on the next step of testing to make sure her thyroid is functioning. All her labs have been drawn 2 hrs post breakfast as that is what was advised by the vet in question to make sure the thyroid meds were working. I am now on full blown stress worried to death for her.



Nancy Ciraldo