Chance update - and question - insulin still high

Stacy B

Hi -

My horse Chance has been sound and running around since Mid-March.  I took him to the vet clinic to have his bloodwork done to see if he is better and look at what damage happened to his feet after a founder/laminitis incident during a cold snap in February.  His weight is better.  He is sound.  he is on a 1/2 tab of Prascend.  His insulin came down, but is still elevated at 40.  What else can I do - other than excersize?  The vet wants me to put him on Thyro-L - he didn't even test the thyroid levels  in the blood work.  He says that will drive more weight loss and lower his insulin.  How would that work?  The fat doesn't cause insulin to go up does it?  isn't the fat a symptom of the high insulin?  His ATCH is in the normal range - at 27 - but still kind of on the high end.  Should I up the Prascend?

I will update the file with the x-rays when I figure that out tonight.  Pretty amazing to me how sound he is with the rotation that is evident.  Hes pretty happy right now.  He is the instigator of all the running in the pasture -and is rearing up in play fighting with his buddy.
--
Stacy Berger
Powell Butte, OR USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chance%20History%20-/Chance%20Case%20History%20050319.pdf

Stacy B

Here is where the x-rays are of his feet.  I need to back the toes obviously and rock the heels.  i'll go slow - because he is sound and has decent sole depth somehow.  I rounded off the toes when we got home.  My bigger question is how to get the insulin level down.
--
Stacy Berger
Powell Butte, OR USA
Originally joined 2006
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chance%20History%20-

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Stacy,

Do you have a link to where the rads are? Nothing in your message :(

--
Lavinia and George Too
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Stacy,

Great that Chance is doing so well.

Shipping will influence I/G/ACTH levels so the 27 ACTH after being hauled to the vet isn't a concern.

Thyro-L will not lower insulin levels so not recommended. Increasing exercise is always a good thing (if the horse is able) for insulin control.

If he is still receiving 18-20lbs of hay per day, plus 1/2 lb of feed, that will support a weight of 900-1000lbs. As he should weigh no more than 800lbs, you need to lower the total amount of food he consumes per day to get more weight loss. At 1.5%-2% of ideal body weight per day, he shouldn't be receiving more than 12-16lbs total. That would be the first place to start to get his weight down, which will influence the insulin. Getting his diet tightly mineral balanced will also help and it doesn't look like that is happening. CA Trace is a good general supplement for adding copper, zinc,selenium and iodine. It supplies some vit E but not enough to meet Chance's basic requirements. Also doesn't address calcium/phosphorus/magnesium.

Can't tell without seeing the rads butt he "rotation" is likely capsular as opposed to bony column, which would be a trim issue, so many times the horse compensates a lot better pain-wise.
--
Lavinia and George Too
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
ECIR Support Team

Stacy B

I'll update his hay stuff - I did decrease the amount he gets.   The Cal Trace actually balances my hay just about perfect - a little high on copper, but that is ok.  Interestingly - I had him tested for Selenium when he broke his jaw - as at first the vet thought he wasn't eating due to poisoning of some sort...and he was toxic levels of selenium - even though he only gets the 2mg a day.  He now gets half Cal Trace with selenium and half without - so only 1mg total.  I tested my other 2 horses and their selenium levels were fine.

Chances rotation will grow out - I have lots of experience with that.   Just trying to get his insulin levels down and didn't agree with putting him on There-L - just wanted to validate that before having the discussion with the vet.   Thankyou