Commercial Feed Analysis Library - Wed, 05/08/2019 #cal-notice

main@ECIR.groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

Commercial Feed Analysis Library

When:
Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Commercial Feed Analysis Library

Over the years individual ECIR Group members have sent various commercial feeds to be tested then generously shared the information. The Commercial Feed Analysis Library is a new term for an old file folder where any member can go and view unbiased analyses of commercial feeds. These analyses are a valuable part of the science that the ECIR uses to help our IR and PPID horses and are valuable tools used to prevent laminitis.

If you have an analysis of a commercial feed please, instead of uploading it to your own folder, please consider sharing it with the entire group by by notifying us here.

View the Commercial Feed Analysis Library

Thanks for your help and cooperation.

- ECIR Group Owners and Support Team

I have full EA analyses of Speedi Beet, for dry right out of the bag and for R/S/R. Where do I send the analyses?
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Nancy C

Unless Dr. Kellon wants them directly, you can send to me. Thanks for doing this Cass.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

I'll also post them in other ECIR/NRC Plus libraries where I find them.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Maria Duran

Hi Cass,

I am very interested in those analysis. THANK YOU so much for sharing.

How do I know when they are uploaded?

Thanks!
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Nancy C

Hi Maria

I just loaded three files from Cass. Two on Speedi-Beet, one on Standlee Shreds

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/1.%20Beet%20Pulp

Many thanks Cass.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
DDT+E = effective treatment for PPID and EMS/IR equines: https://bit.ly/2J4ZgYT

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

I’m having trouble find a replacement for Stabul 1. It’s too expensive being shipped straight from Anderson Feed. I went to the Commercial Feed Analysis Library to have a look. My question: Stabul 1 is in the ok to feed category but shows high iron in the Equi-Analytical analysis? And their Stabul 1 treats are very high. I thought they were iron free.

I threw out a bag of LMF Senior Low Carb but I see that analysis as being lower in iron than Stabul 1. Pabatsa won’t eat BP anymore and he hates soaked cubes. Any advice for a pelleted feed?

--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012

Lorna Cane

Hi Laura,

Will P. eat the cubes dry?

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator

Shevawn Romine

I just went to the Chewy.com website,  selected contact us,   then Chat,  and gave the Nuzu Stabul 1 to be added to the customer wish list.     Maybe if a lot of folks did that,   they would get a truckload and then we could order few bags at a time.

--
Cassie and Shevawn
03/2015   Gordon, TX

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

Hi Lorna,

It's been a long time since I fed the Ontario cubes soaked, and I don't remember ever feeding to him dry. Wouldn't they be way to hard for a 22-year old to eat dry? Are there more than one variety because he didn't like the Ontario.

--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012
Case History https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20a nd%20Pabatsa ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20and%20Pabatsa )
Pabatsa's Photos https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 )

gypsylassie

Hi Laura, the Stabul 1 products don't have any added iron, but the individual ingredients can have iron themselves.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

On May 16, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Laura and Pabatsa in CA <lmollrich@...> wrote:

[...]

They are made softer than other cubes,with the exception of some batches,which can be hard. I haven't had bags like that for several years.
All I know is that Humphrey was still eating them dry at 47 years of age. My other senior citizens ate them dry as well.

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator
2002
https://ecir.gro
ups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

Thanks Lorna!

Aren’t there a couple of brands? Which one do you recommend?
--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012
Case History https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20a nd%20Pabatsa ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20and%20Pabatsa )
Pabatsa's Photos https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 )

Maria Duran

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for letting me know. Cass was so kind leaving me a PM warning me already.

You are all awesome in this group. I have never seen this kind of commitment before in any other group.

Thanks a lot.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

I thought I’d read advice here against feeding them dry because of the possibility of choke.   Logo has lots of chewing surface still at 30 but has difficulty picking up mash, due to the dental disease with lots of letters that affects the incisors primarily.  I would love to be able to feed them dry but I still get plenty of the hard as rocks, shiny variety.  As some of mine come in a Triple Crown bag and others in paper (yay!), I thought I might find a difference in texture between the bags but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  I put dry ones in Nose-It’s for the ponies and no one seems to have had difficulty with them.  On the other hand, Logo pretty much needs his face washed after each meal.
--
Martha in Vermont
Logo, Tobit(EC) and Pumpkin, Handy and Silver (EC/IR)

Logo's Case History:

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

Hi Laura,

I am totally confused now regarding the Stabul 1 that I still have about 100 lbs of and their variety packs of treats. They don't add iron however there's significant iron listed. Why then does ECIR have it on the approved list of feeds?
--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012
Case History https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20a nd%20Pabatsa ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20and%20Pabatsa )
Pabatsa's Photos https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 )

Nancy C

Hi Laura

Stabul1 does not add iron. Iron is from processing. It is on the approved list because the traces are tightly balanced. IOW copper and zinc are added at the ratio we use here to offset iron. As far as I am aware, only Ontario Dehy does this as well. LMF does not.

Because we we had been balancing P for iron overload, I’d be using Stabul1 or ODTB Tim balance cubes or beet pulp, looking for ways to help tempt him. Absent that if you are still feeding multiple pounds of grain for his high work load, you need to consider and balance the amount of iron in whatever grain you are choosing.

We we haven’t done balancing in a while, but he was getting some 10 pounds of grain. Also don’t remember what his last overload test results were. If still high, added iron without tight balancing would be an extra concern. Sorry. Short on time so did not go look it up.

--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003
DDT+E = effective treatment for PPID and EMS/IR equines: https://bit.ly/2J4ZgYT

Laura and Pabatsa in CA

Thank you Nancy for clarifying that for me and others who may have been wondering the same thing.

March 15th I moved P to a new beautiful facility. The owners gave me an analysis however it didn’t list trace minerals. When the new load comes in I’ll ask if I can core and have analyzed for you.

For now I’m just going to stick with Stabul 1 along with his added flax/e/salt and 1oz of liquid CTB. I haven’t been giving him balanced minerals for awhile. I tried Uckele’s balanced minerals but he sniffed them and that was it. What a waste of $179, I couldn’t give it away.

Thanks for bringing up iron testing, need to do it. Should I give CA Trace in the interim?
--
Laura and Pabatsa in California
Feb 2012
Case History https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20a nd%20Pabatsa ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Laura%20and%20Pabatsa )
Pabatsa's Photos https://ecir.groups.io /g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1740 )

Lorna Cane

Edited

Hi Laura,

Just for future reference,it's not unusual for horses to ixnay stuff we want them to let us feed them.
A good rule of thumb,to increase the likelihood of our being able to sneak things by their awesome sense of smell/taste, is to introduce something new in teeny tiny amounts. I mean a pinch, nothing more. You might be able to get away with an extra pinch per day, or even slower. You may be able to up the amount more significantly after a week or so....or longer.
Yes, it is tedious. But the relief that comes with success is awesome.
Just a thought.