ECIR Group - Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance #FACTS

main@ECIR.groups.io Integration <main@...>

By ECIR Group - Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

Get details on testing for PPID (Equine Cushing's Disease) and IR/EMS here: https://bit.ly/2A36ERq.

Getting an accurate diagnosis is not always as straightforward as it might seem. This short film will take you through what every owner needs to know: https://bit.ly/2BSdEhK

main@ECIR.groups.io Integration <main@...>

By ECIR Group - Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistance

Important Notice From Dr Kellon ~

I want to alert all ECIR Group members that within the past couple of weeks we have seen a definite uptick in cases of unexplained laminitis flares. The typical case is a horse in their teens, with a history of known or suspected EMS, but no change in management to explain the current problem.

The seasonal rise in ACTH doesn't peak until the end of September, but we know from past experience it can begin as early as July. This can often be the first sign of early PPID.

In many, but not all, cases you will find an ACTH elevation that exceeds the seasonal guidelines so by all means check if your horse is experiencing an unexplained laminitis flare. TRH stimulation is a more sensitive indicator of early PPID than baseline ACTH but we don't have seasonal normals for this test, so another option is to put the horse on pergolide temporarily then wean off late winter and test by TRH stimulation.
--
Eleanor M Kellon, VMD

For more about seasonal rise, see https://www.ecirhorse.org/seasonal-rise.php