Tetanus shots

Cheryl Oickle

Hi Everyone:
What is the latest evidence on tetanus shots? To give or not to give? and how long are they good for before a booster is necessary? I cannot find anything conclusive
Thank you-
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

You can't find anything because there isn't anything! There are rapid titer test kits available in Europe, but as far as I know not here https://en.fassisi.at/products/large-livestock/horses-fassisi-tetacheck/

This is a tiny "study," but the results look pretty good. Is it such a small sample that it's essentially anecdotal?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26284567

--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

When I first read that study I was excited that it supports longer vaccination intervals but detectable titer is not the same thing as protective titer. Humans and horses have similar sensitivity to tetanus. The established protective titer for humans is 0.1 IU/mL.

Cheryl Oickle

Thank you Dr. Kellon.  In your opinion then, would you boost tetanus once a year for IR/Cushings horses due to their more fragile state?

Cheryl and Jewel

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

If I had access to a test kit, I would go by  titers.  For an IR/EMS horse other consideration is vaccine reactions. A horse that is  in their teens or older and has been vaccinated yearly more than likely has a very high titers. Many horses were vaccinated more often than that because encephalitis vaccines used to all contain tetanus. In the past, when USDA ran titers, we had members test their horses and find high titers. When titers aren't available, it's the better part of valor to vaccinate but if the horse is having reactions the risk vs benefit ratio may shift toward not vaccinating.