Is there an App for that?

Debra

Curious if anyone knows if there's some sort of App or some "calculator" that exists that will allow users to figure out how to make adjustments to feeds while maintaining proper ratios? It's all math after all...isn't it?
--
Debra Doerfler
San Marcos (San Diego County), California

There are spread sheets and software programs and I've seen more errors come out of them than I can count. Some are entry errors, others were unexplained errors. If you don't have the knowledge to have a rough idea of what the answer should be, you'll miss them. There are also situations which are judgement calls that can't be easily incorporated into an app. The math isn't the problem. If you can use a calculator you can do it - if you have the knowledge.

Annette

I use FeedXL and find it helpful, though I agree with Dr. Kellon that no program should be used blindly without using judgement.

--
Annette and Alley
October 2018, Moscow, Idaho

Debra

Yes, I agree Dr. Kellon. I would never  propose someone use technology w/o having some idea of what the results should be, however I do also think it would be a useful tool for to help with the learning process.

I am a proponent of always checking a map before implicitly trusting GPS. :-) I have yet to wind up on some dirt road...headed to the unknown.
--
Debra Doerfler
San Marcos (San Diego County), California
Lady Sierra Snarf n' Snort AKA "Sierra"
2009 TB rescue mare, adopted 2017
Member since March 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Debra%20and%20Sierra

What do you picture it helping you to learn?

Debra

I'm a visual learner so I envision some sort of graph that would change size and color when you changed foodstuffs or quantities. I do well with charts and graphs, things that are colorful...just how my brain works best :-)
--
Debra Doerfler
San Marcos (San Diego County), California
Lady Sierra Snarf n' Snort AKA "Sierra"
2009 TB rescue mare, adopted 2017
Member since March 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Debra%20and%20Sierra

I understand, and many will do that, but it doesn't solve the problem of knowing if the information you are getting is correct.

Maxine McArthur

Dr Kellon’s NRCPlus course arms us with the knowledge to understand what the results from various spreadsheets etc mean. I honestly think taking that course was THE best thing I ever did for my horses. It was a lasting paradigm change for me.
And frankly once I have the hay test results, it is quicker and easier to do balancing calculations myself rather than using a program—thanks to NRCPlus.

Canberra, Australia 2010

ferne fedeli

I do use a spreadsheet given to me by my balancer at the time, but basically I calculate everything manually & then fill in the spreadsheet...  You need to play with ratios a bit usually anyway, as 4-1-3-3 doesn't always work.  Have you taken Dr. K's NRC+ class?  That is a requirement, in my book.
Ferne Fedeli
No. Calif.

--

Ferne Fedeli

No. California

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Case History

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

I also strongly recommend the NRC Plus course!   Not only can I now determine that my horse is getting the minerals he needs in the right ratios (he never did before, I know for a fact) and that the money I am spending is well spent, but it also led me to finding the ECIR group.  Going barefoot and taking this course are the 2 best things I have done for my horse's health.

Although we are taught to do the calculations by hand so we fully understand them, afterwards I made a spreadsheet and now it is very fast to balance a new hay (or more than 1 hay at the proportions fed), and I have set it up so I can see how much of a particular supplement (Mad Barn Amino Trace+, which so far has worked well for my hays) is needed to optimize mineral ratios and cover deficiencies.  My spreadsheet does't replace knowing how much to supplement to get correct ratios and you have to be very careful to not make mistakes, so it's good to have the knowledge of how to do it by hand as a basis for the spreadsheet.

--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kirsten%20and%20Shaku

Shaku's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82559&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Kirsten Rasmussen

I don't know how to edit a message,  but I meant to write:

My spreadsheet does NOT replace knowing how much to supplement to get correct ratios...

Oops! :)
--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada