Dancer updated case history

Patricia Evans

Hi Sherry,
You think I need to lower her hay and cube levels even though she is a BCS of 4-per the vet? Her weight has been dropping until I increase her hay and cubes, then it stabilizes. I don't know if she will maintain her weight if I drop her intake much, plus she had started chewing the wood in her stall when she is in for the night. Thoughts?
--
Patricia
North central Florida

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patricia%20and%20Dancer%20and%20Nathan
Dancer:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=66069

Nathan:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=94152

Sherry Morse

Hi Patricia,

Thyro-L will not control insulin although it can help with weight loss.  Information on that can be found in this message from Dr. Kellon: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/234632

The only thing that jumps out at me from the updated CH that could be driving her numbers up (and I'm not sure if it's actually an issue or just a possibility) would be the amount of hay + TBC she's getting.  That totals out to 6.5 lbs a day and based on her weight she should be getting 5.5lbs a day total.  That 1lb. may not be making a difference but on such a small pony it could be having a big effect.

Hopefully one of the vets will pop in with some thoughts as well.

Patricia Evans

Hi,
I just updated Dancer's case history with her newest lab results; could someone review and comment, please?. My vet wants me to restart her on thyroid medication because her insulin is elevated again, but I am not comfortable doing that since she does not need to lose any more weight. Her feet seem comfortable for now, but since she foundered in July last year, I'm concerned she is at a higher risk this year during the seasonal rise. She is currently at 1 mg Prascend. The blood work tests are too pricey to afford to have them done monthly to monitor her levels, so I've mainly been going on symptoms and her Prascend was increased on 6/15/19 based on symptoms such as increasing crest, goopy eyes, etc. All suggestions are appreciated!