FYI for those feeding Triple Crown Lite; feed recipe variability

coffincomplex@...

I wanted to add a little info that I found out about TC Lite, since I know some here feed it even though it isn't on the "safe list". I noticed that the ingredient listing on the TC website didn't match what was on the bags I had, so I asked TC for clarification. In essence, they printed the current bags about 3 years ago, and in that time, have periodically changed the recipe, which is now different from what is printed on the bags (which I think is why feed tags exist, but I digress). They will be printing new bags once they use up the thousands they currently have printed. I wanted to pass this along because I know some of you have feed sensitive horses. They state that the ESC and starch are the same and this is still a fixed formula because the ingredients are the same (though as far as I can tell, they aren't).

The bag states:
Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Distillers Dried Grains, Ground Limestone, Monocalcium Phosphate,

Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Yeast Culture, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Dried Lactobacillus

Acidophilus Fermentation Product...

A couple of days ago, the website stated the following, (though since I reached out to TC for comment, they removed rice bran and state it was never there):
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls, Stabilized Rice Bran, Distillers Dried Grains, Ground Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Yeast Culture, Calcium Silicate, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product...

--
Alanna
May 2018

Shevawn Romine

I had reached out to them regarding the variability of the test results that had been received by folks in this group.   Their response was that even if there feed is sometimes higher than acceptable,   since it is such a small portion of the entire diet,   it was not an issue.    i.e. the average of everything consumed would balance it out.  I did not think that was a good answer,  and do believe it had an impact on my sensitive mare at the small portions.

--
Cassie and Shevawn
03/2015   Gordon, TX

Shannon

My mare has been on Triple Crown Lite for years (with hay tested and supplemented accordingly) and maintained a low insulin for every test (at least annual).  If the feed is fluctuating, I am very concerned.  She is one horse who requires feed to hold even minimal weight, and is losing weight recently.  I was going to bump up the feed a bit, but now I'm not sure what to expect.  Any updated info on this?
--
Shannon and Majik (IR) and Rafiq (PPID/IR, over the rainbow bridge)
Houston 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shannon%20and%20Majik%20and%20Rafiq

Majik's Photo Album

Rafiq's Photo Album

I used Triple Crown Lite for years for my Cushings/IR mare and on occasion sent it to Equi Analytical.  It always came back as acceptable to me because I fed so little of it.  BUT then Purina took over the milling so I decided to have it tested again.  It came back as 16% ESC plus Starch.  I was horrified and sent the test results to Triple Crown.  They asked me to have it retested so I did.  EA stated in their findings that the feed wasn't the same as in the past.  Then I got a letter from Triple Crown basically

Dear Ms. Kemmerer,

Thank you for your email and for providing the information from Equi-Analytical.  As you likely know, we provide estimated values for NSC on our products and there can be a lot of variables in the sampling and testing process that could lead to unexpected results.  We do agree with you that this sample result is higher than we would expect for TC Lite.

We will review new data as crop inputs can change from one year to the next.  Based on your feedback, we will take steps to increase the testing frequency of our TC Lite.

If in fact we find that the NSC values for Lite have increased, we will work to find the source of the increase and modify our ingredient supply if possible to improve the result.  If a lower NSC is not possible, then we will adjust our estimated value.  Please feel free to review the carbohydrate page on our website for the latest information.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Triple Crown

--
Jean and Amber (over the bridge)

South Carolina

August 2004

NRCPlus 0412; CIR 0813, 1211; NAT 0612

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gloria%20and%20Amber

laurietrush@...

This makes me soooo upset! I've been feeding Triple Crown Lite - not much but now my horse is at the hospital with her first horrible case of laminitis. I feel like no one is truthful and our horses are suffering because of it.
--
Laurie R. in Knoxville, TN 2020

Hi Shannon,
I was interested in taking a peek at Majik’s Case History and found I could not open it.  Could you please check and see if it opens for you?
Thank you!
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Lorna Cane

Hi Laurie,

I know it's ridiculous  to say  not to worry about misguided advice you have been given , by people we should trust to help us keep our ponies healthy.
But I wish I had a dollar for every person here who has gone through the same thing....before coming here. I'd be a gazzillionaire.
For me, it happened over 25 years ago wrt my dogs, and about 22 years ago for my horses. Just to say it's not a new travesty.
The good thing is that you are here now. You'll learn about companies/professionals who do care, and who put in the effort to help us.
You have the power now to get your girl on the road to health.
Knowledge is power, and there's plenty of knowledge going on here.
Save your energy to soak it all in.

Glad to hear you've got the breathing thing under control!
--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Shevawn Romine

This was at least a better answer then they gave me…which was basically,   “so what if the ESC+starch was variable and sometimes high,    the amount fed is small compared to rest of diet. “

--
Cassie and Shevawn
03/2015   Gordon, TX
CH folder:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shevawn%20and%20Cassie
Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=76832

Trisha DePietro

Hi Laurie. I understand your frustration and disappointment in the feed industry that we trusted. It is a huge letdown and disappointment for us and our horses.  And we feel so guilty that we didn't "know"...... Now that you have found this website, YOU are now empowered to make different choices in nutrition for your horses now and in the future!  Evidenced based information about equine nutrition and management of the IR/Cushings horse will be available here on this site when you can focus and your crisis is over, the moderators and everyone will be here to support you in your future decisions. Hang in there and I hope things begin to improve for your horse soon!

Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Trisha%20and%20Dolly%20-%20Hope
Dolly's Photos
Hope's Photos

coffincomplex@...

I've had enough issues with Triple Crown that I just can't trust them enough to use their feed for a sensitive horse. I began having trust issues with them a few years ago during a monensin toxicity scare, when I contacted them to find out if TC feeds were made at mills that also processed medicated livestock feed. Their response was that there was no chance for contamination, because their mills were ionophore free. I then found out that the mill making the feed I was using was a Cargill mill, which does make ionophore containing feeds. When I confronted the TC rep their response was "Oh, I figured the feed you were buying was made by *some particular feed mill I don't recall*, which is ionophore free. Yes, the mill you are referring to does handle monensin feed." So they just point-blank lied. I've fed TC Lite since then because my options were limited, but then when I found out the ingredients on the bag weren't correct and their sugar and starch numbers were way off, I was done.
--
Alanna
May 2018
South Bend, IN
Buster's case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Alanna%20and%20Buster  .

coffincomplex@...

I found the old email string, if anyone is interested:TC rep: All the feed mills that manufacture Triple Crown feeds do not have Rumensin in the facility as an ingredient, so the potential for contamination is eliminated. All the feed mills that make Triple Crown are independently HAACP certified for food safety and will meet the new FDA “Feed Safety and Modernization Act” guidelines.The new FDA guidelines are designed to put all feed mills under regulations to make feeds safe for both animals and humans.Many smaller, local feed mills do not have HAACP certifications and will be forced to comply with the new FDA guidelines or face closure over the next few years.

Me: I have been doing more reading on this subject and have found out that some of the mills that produce Triple Crown products do, in fact, handle monensin. I was speaking to a gal in CO who feeds Triple Crown, who found out that the Nutrena mill which produces the Triple Crown feed that she uses is made in a mill that handles monensin-medicated feed.

I feel that it is important that your customers be given accurate information so that they can make informed decisions, which does not appear to be the case here, as you stated that "We require all of the mills that manufacture Triple Crown to be rumensin free".

TC rep: I apologize for the confusion about my statement regarding "We require all of the mills that manufacture Triple Crown to be rumensin free".  I was referring to any location on the east coast and I failed to ask you about your exact location.  You are correct that some of the Cargill mills do use monesin at the facilities. I have done some further checking about Sterling and can verify that Sterling mill handles monensin, but the facility will be monesin free by March 1st. All the feed mills that make Triple Crown  are independently HAACP certified for food safety and follow very strict safety procedures. Triple Crown Nutrition has strived to be the best and most innovative feed company for the past 25 years.  Triple Crown has never had a product recall and has a history of being voted “Best Feed” by equine publications.