Vitex with and without Pergolide

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I just posted a paper I found that followed three small groups of PPID horses/ponies treated with a Vitex agnus-castus (Chastetree berry)  containing supplement alone, pergolide alone or a combination of the two for 6 months per animal, all between January and August.

This is far from a carefully controlled study and laminitis/insulin results complicated by pasture exposure but it basically reinforces what we have said about CTB giving  good control of signs like abnormal coat but not of ACTH levels.  There were no apparent negative effects of combining the two.  Interestingly enough, the combination of the two gave much lower ACTH levels on the 6 month exam - but we have no way to know if more or all of those horses had their last exams in June rather than August.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001

Deb Walker

So should our PPID horses with high ACTH levels also be given CTB? Where do we get it and what dosage if so?
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Deb%20and%20Scotty
Photos:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90619

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There are only two fairly solid take home messages  IMO:

- CTB probably won't interfere with pergolide actions
- CTB does indeed help with shedding

It would take more study to confirm a positive interaction between them. If the horse is doing well, no need to add it.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001

Sherry Morse

Deb,

If your horse has a high ACTH the answer is to increase the pergolide dosage.  If you want to give CTB in addition to that it won't interfere with the pergolide.  As Dr. Kellon noted in her original email:

Interestingly enough, the combination of the two gave much lower ACTH levels on the 6 month exam - but we have no way to know if more or all of those horses had their last exams in June rather than August.

So that's not scientific proof of an actual effect on ACTH levels.