So should our PPID horses with high ACTH levels also be given CTB? Where do we get it and what dosage if so?
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

There are only two fairly solid take home messages  IMO:

- CTB probably won't interfere with pergolide actions
- CTB does indeed help with shedding

It would take more study to confirm a positive interaction between them. If the horse is doing well, no need to add it.

Deb,

If your horse has a high ACTH the answer is to increase the pergolide dosage.  If you want to give CTB in addition to that it won't interfere with the pergolide.  As Dr. Kellon noted in her original email:

Interestingly enough, the combination of the two gave much lower ACTH levels on the 6 month exam - but we have no way to know if more or all of those horses had their last exams in June rather than August.

So that's not scientific proof of an actual effect on ACTH levels.