Sparky & Ike Hoof Xrays - Path Forward?

Julie Thomas

Hi.  I uploaded 2 new xrays for Ike (front laterals) and 4 for Sparky.  (I somehow managed to load duplicate sets; sorry!  Feel free to delete 2nd set as I couldn't figure out how to)  Here is what I think but certainly don't know:
(would appreciate help)

Sparky:
 - Heels need to come down
 - Toes still need to come back a bit
 - Sole thickness...looks ok?
Ike:
 - Heels need to come down
 - Toes need to come back a bit
 - Sole is very thin...how can I help this thicken?

I will attempt to get pictures tomorrow (before the rain hits again).  In the meantime, if this provides enough info to help....I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you,
Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Julie,

Thanks for adding the radiographs. I deleted the extra copies. I'm assuming the one labeled LR is supposed to be RF?

Sparky:
   - Sinking all around, with fronts being more significant.
   - Front have borderline sole depth, but no excess. Hinds have extra overall vertical height so foot to work with.
   - Toes long all around, fronts worse than hinds. Heels a bit underrun.
   - Bony column alignment is OK on all four so NO excess heel height.

Ike:
  Rads were shot from below the foot, making interpretation more difficult.
    - There appears to be slight bony column rotation but that could also be the angle of the rads and the positioning of the legs for the shots.
    - Sinking on both, soles very thin.
    - Appear to be some arthritic changes on lower part of P2 on the LF.
    - Toes too long on both, heels underrun.

The thin soles are a combination of several factors: sinking, long toes, underrun heels, possible over trimming. Adding depth requires addressing all the factors that are contributing to make them thinner: addressing the causes of the laminitis; tight, mineral balanced diet to provide all the building blocks he needs to create sole; getting and maintaining an optimal trim so that he moves better and lands heel first. Ike should be kept in padded boots, with good bevels added to the treads, most of the time to protect the thin soles from wear and to provide some rehab pressure-and-release.

When you are getting the pix, please be sure to keep the leg being photographed set squarely under the horse. Take the shot from far enough back that the lower leg is included along with the hoof.

--
Lavinia and George Too
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge

Julie Thomas

Thank you, Lavinia.  Yes, LR is really RF; thank you for catching my error.  I'll fix it.

Can anyone point me to the right kind of padded boots per Lavinia's recommendation?  I'm really struggling with this.  I have Renegades, which I know are for riding purposes; not designed for this though Ike feels better wearing them.  I tried soft ride, but couldn't get a good fit (probably my fault, but it gets expensive sending boots back).  I don't know how to get/create "good bevels added to the treads"; are there some that come this way, or does it require some do-it-yourself action (which is not a talent I possess).  Can someone show a picture of what that really means?  Honestly, I'm at my wits end on the boots topic... :(  Thank you.
--
- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Maxine McArthur

Julie, I have used Renegades for padded turnout with no problem, although you need to keep the trim tight (so renewing the bevel once a week or so). I use various kinds of foam pad, not too thick, similar to the Easycare 12mm or 6mm pads. You need to cut them so that they fit tight in the boot. You can also 'bevel' the edges of the pad so that there is more room for the hoof. Renegades should not be tight-fitting in the boot shell to start with, so you should be able to fit the hoof plus pad in the shell. Like all padded boots, need to check daily at least (I checked twice daily) and give the feet some time out of boots to breathe.

There is are some photos of boot breakover here in the Photos section: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=45323

I'll post a couple of photos later today in my album showing my Renegades plus pads setup.

Canberra, Australia 2010

gypsylassie

Hi Julie, I don't have any boot experience, but I have noticed that some people have had trouble getting the right fit with Soft Rides.   Different brands fit different horses so to speak.  By the way,  Ike is a handsome boy and Sparky is adorable.
LUra K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

gypsylassie

Laura not LUra.  😊

On Oct 4, 2019, at 2:30 AM, gypsylassie <lcknie@...> wrote:

Hi Julie, I don't have any boot experience, but I have noticed that some people have had trouble getting the right fit with Soft Rides.   Different brands fit different horses so to speak.  By the way,  Ike is a handsome boy and Sparky is adorable.
LUra K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Julie Thomas

Hi Maxine McArthur.  Were you able to post pics of your Renegades plus pads setup?  I looked in your "Maxine and Indy" photos, but couldn't find the renegade pics.  I totally understand if you haven't had time; I know life gets busy.  :)  Thanks!  For now, I'm going with Renegades on during the day and off at night (12 hrs on/12 hrs off) hoping this is better than nothing...
--
- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Maxine McArthur

Hi Julie
I thought I did post them, but it looks like it didn't upload. Grrr. Very sorry, I will repeat the upload this afternoon. Is he still finding more comfort in the boots than without?

Canberra, Australia 2010

Julie Thomas

I'm a visual & tactile learner.  Is there any chance someone can share pictures of an underrun heel and a "good" heel/hoof?
Also, has anyone ever used these Comfort Pads in their boots?  Is this what I'm looking for based on Lavinia's recommendation?  Sorry to be so dense.  Thank you
--
- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There are several before and after examples on this page:  http://www.wildheartshoofcare.com/Cases.htm .

Julie Thomas

He tends to be "ouchy" for the first 3-4 weeks after a trim, then gets more comfortable (not totally comfy, but better)....just in time for the 6-week trim.  It's a vicious cycle.  :(
--
- Julie Thomas
September 2018, Seabeck, WA
Case Histories: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Julie-Ike-Sparky  .
Ike Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73042  .
Sparky Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=73044  .

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Julie,

I have used Easy Care Comfort pads in boots (Equine Fusion All Terrain), the 12mm black ones (I believe they are the medium density? Although they feel quite firm to me but they do have a lot of weight to support).  The pads do seem to improve comfort, but equally as good they ensure all parts of the hoof are being stimulated including the frog when a horse is booted all the time.  I have found that they make the boots much tighter although eventually they become compressed and take up less space.  With booting my horse 22/7 for the last 3 months to treat/protect thin soles on his fronts, and treating thrush with regular soaks and 'Pete's goo' my horses front feet have never looked better.  His frogs are healthier than I have ever seen them!  His hooves are developing a nicer concavity that he did not have when I started booting him.  I believe the pads stimulating the bottoms of his hooves are the key to both healthy frogs and concavity when in boots.  I make sure the same pad goes back on the same hoof and that it's not twisted, and when they get really compressed or his hoof shape changes I cut out a fresh pad.

I have also found that the boots don't fit well if I don't trim every 2-3 weeks, especially when there's a 12mm pad in there too.  I definitely recommend doing some trimming yourself between farrier visits.  If your guys are like mine, 6 weeks allows so much hoof growth that it's removal can cause sensitivity.  A little bit removed every 2 weeks instead would probably help.  I used to think that my farrier was 'taking too much off' when Shaku was sore or sensitive on gravel after a 6-8 week trim....now I see it as 'I left too much on' before his trim, which set him up to be sensitive after a trim.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR)
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kirsten%20and%20Shaku