File on breeds prone to IR

Maria Duran

Hi all,

I have been searching in the files for some document with listed breeds prone to IR but didn´t find it. Is there any? Could you please lead me to it?

Is the percheron breed prone to IR?

Thank you very much.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Sherry Morse

Hi Maria,

It's part of the welcome letter so that's why you may see it so often, but I don't think there's an official list around since so many breeds can develop it.

This is the line from the welcome letter:

The super-efficient easy keeper type breeds such as minis, ponies, Morgans, Arabs, Rockies are some of the classic examples....

The study I've seen most often that specifically references breeds was tiny (23 horses) and was Andalusians, Andalusian crosses, "ponies" and Standardbreds:  Breed differences in insulin sensitivity have been demonstrated, where ponies and Andalusian-cross horses showed reduced insulin sensitivity compared to standardbred horses (Bamford and others 2014)

That study consisted of seven Andalusians (purebreds and cross breeds), eight Standardbred trotters, and eight mixed-breed ponies.

Maria Duran

Thank you very much Sherry. I thought there was a list of the most common breeds somewhere other than the present in the welcome that by the way I didn't remember.

Do you know if Percherons are within the prone to IR breeds?

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Sherry Morse

Hi Maria,

I do not know about the drafts - hoping Dr. K or one of the other vets will chime in on that point!

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Rare to nonexistent in purebred drafts that do not have PPID.  Gypsy Vanners are an exception, and some Irish Draught.

Lorna Cane

Hi Maria,

I did an archive search for drafts IR, and found a quote from Dr. Kellon.

"Pure drafts are rarely, if ever, IR unless they have PPID."
 Message 229725

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Maria Duran

Thanks a lot Dr. Kellon, Lorna and Sherry.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Kirsten Rasmussen

How interesting!  It would be a good resource to have a list of breeds prone, and not prone, to IR.  That will be a major consideration if I was to get another horse one day, since our choices for hay on the Northwest coast are so limited.  Not that there are necessarily guaranteed 'safe' breeds, but just to reduce the odds of going through this all again...

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR)
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kirsten%20and%20Shaku

Shaku's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82559&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Lorna Cane

Hi Kirsten,

Are you looking for a project??
:-)

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Nancy C

We have a list compiled by the vet and research team for the Case History project. I need to get to my desktop but can post that a bit later.

Dont forget that many untypical breeds  can become IR If PPID is not controlled.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

kguest@...

I live in Prince George and have two younger IR horses--one an-IR prone breed (a lipizzan) and one not (a QH/WB cross who got laminitis as a 4 year old the minute he stopped growing). So I think choosing for this would not necessarily preclude it being a factor. I also have a TB, a paint, and two WBs who got  trickier to manage as they aged. Paint and WBs became PPID  and intolerant of pasture even when on appropriate pergolide, TB was tested and while not PPID seems not to handle grass well anymore. I currently have *1* older horse (an appendix QH) who does not need to be on the dry lot and a yearling who will be moving to the dry lot as a 3 year old (a lipizzan).

--

Kristen and Jasper, Prince George BC
December 2016

Maria Duran

It would be great to have that list if possible Nancy! 😊
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Nancy C

Edited

Hi Maria

Here is the list of choices you will see in the new CH that we have based on what we have seen here,  and discussion with the CH committee. For simplicity sake, we did not list all variations of breeds, eg., Anglo-Arab, Brazilian QH, Mexican vs American Aztecas, etc.

Side bar:  When we roll out the new CH, You will be able to indicate cross breeds.  This is just the basic list.

Included here are breeds that typically do not have IR unless PPID is out of control. (See those marked **) We generalized warmbloods and fullsized drafts , because they typically do not suffered from IR at baseline.  Draft ponies, however do so they are listed by breed. Many of the list do not (like QH, TB, Standardbred), but only through uncontrolled PPID.

So it's a mixed list. Does that make sense? There may be breeds we see pop up on an individual basis. If we get a dozen new reports of xyz breed not listed, we can add them to the list.

Hope this helps and not just confuse you.

Andalusian

Appaloosa

Arabian

Azteca

Barb

Brumby

Canadian Horse

Colorado Ranger

Connemara

Curly Horse

Dartmoor

Donkey

Draft - full size**

Friesian

Fjord

Gypsy Vanner

Hackney Horse

Hackney Pony

Haflinger

Icelandic

Lipizzan

Lusitano

Mammoth Jack

Miniature Horse

Miniature Donkey

Missouri Fox Trotter

Morab

Morgan

Mule

Mustang

National Show Horse

Newfoundland

Paint Horse

Paint Pony

Paso Fino

Peruvian Paso

Pony of the Americas

Quarter Horse**

Racking Horse

Rocky Mountain Horse

Saddlebred

Shetland Pony

Spotted Saddle Horse

Standardbred**

Tennessee Walking Horse

Thoroughbred**

Warmblood**

Welsh Cob

Welsh Pony

Horse, Other: _____________ (limit to 40 characters)

Pony, Other: _____________ (limit to 40 characters)

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Maria Duran

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH Nancy. I very much appreciate your time and sharing of this list.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Kirsten Rasmussen

Wow. A smaller list might be breeds that aren't prone to IR!!  LOL

Thanks Nancy!!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR)
Kitimat, BC, Canada
January 2019

Shaku's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kirsten%20and%20Shaku

Shaku's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82559&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

gypsylassie

I think that there are breeds on the list that are not usually prone to IR unless ppid is not controlled
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 09:19 PM, gypsylassie wrote:
I think that there are breeds on the list that are not usually prone to IR unless ppid is not controlled
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Yes it is mentioned by Nancy and marked with *** signs.

María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017
Madrid (Spain)

Plutón´s Case History