Kelp was Adequate Iodine?

Cindy Giovanetti

What is risky about kelp?

Kelp poses the same safety issues for EMS and other horses. It is especially risky for pregnant mares and young horses.

--
Eleanor in PA _._,_._,_

--
Cindy
Denton, Texas

Nancy C

Hi Cindy

In general, unless you are using a kelp that has been tested and has a guaranteed analysis, the issue is quality control. You need ot know how much iodine you are actually getting. Additionally, some products contain contaminants.

This is why ECIR recommends Ocean K (Uckele) or Source.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Cindy Giovanetti

Ah. I see. It’s not kelp that’s a problem, per se, but additives, contaminants, and the unknown.  Thank you.

Cindy

_._,_._,_

--
Cindy
Denton, Texas
Joined 2/19, but I was a member of the old Yahoo group
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden/Oden%20case%20history%20%287%29%20%281%29.doc

Tanna

Contaminants and it's important to know how much iodine the kelp contains as it is possible, and not good, to overdose iodine.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

I have been feeding Source to provide additional iodine to my horse's diet. He gets some iodine from his iodized salt but still requires a bit more. Source is a consistent and very reasonably priced product. I fed it for years before I finally began REALLY thinking about diet and nutrition. Good Stuff.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA