did turning out too early cause more hoof abscesses?

Portagecreek

I think I became too confident 2 weeks ago and turned my gelding out on a soft dry lot after a LF abscess started to drain and he was feeling better. He ran + bucked a bit but then settled down to his slow feeder after that first few minutes.
Gradually, over a few days being out, he became more 'stiff' and then it seemed he developed more abscesses. I applied a poultice and he is back on stall rest with my farrier coming today. Do you think I overdid it with the turnout so soon, could that have caused more abscesses? The turnout debate is so confusing.
--
Natalie
New Brunswick, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tane%20and%20Natalie/Tane%20Case%20History%20.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95995

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Movement on turnout can cause abscesses to mobilize and drain but it doesn't cause the abscesses to form. Mobilization is a good thing!  If trim is not tight and connections are weak, too much movement on turnout can cause more laminar tearing. That is not a good thing. He did have a lot of extra toe on the September films so if that has not been corrected he may have had more damage.

Lorna Cane

Hi Natalie,

It depends,but in my experience it's better for the horse to move around, at will, if he's brewing abscesses.
My understanding is that the movement helps move the abscesses on out.
My guess is that that's what happened with all his activity, and for me that would have been a good thing.....if it's abscesses you're dealing with.
Sometimes abscesses can hide for months,causing issues on and off.Better to get them gone. :-)

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Portagecreek

My farrier is coming today to trim him and I will try to get updated photos. I do believe the toe is much short and the heels lower.
It's hard because both my vet and farrier suggested stall rest and raised their eyebrows when I said I had turned him out. Now it makes me look like I ignored them and did the 'wrong' thing and that I caused him to endure more pain. Hopefully not! I will update.

--
Natalie
New Brunswick, Canada
2019

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tane%20and%20Natalie/Tane%20Case%20History%20.pdf

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95995

Candice Piraino

HI Natalie-

I also m in full agreement with more movement is better as both Lorna and Dr. Kellon have already stated.

In regards to your farrier and vet. Well we all have different opinions in which we are entitled to right? I suggest you ask them WHY they believe this horse be stalled and see what they say for it. Its always best to dig deeper and always ask questions, instead of just doing what I am told. When I investigate further and educate myself, I am better prepared to be a better ambassador to my equine partner and their welfare and health!

Good luck and hope it works out for your horse the best way possible, no matter what!

--

~ Candice

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Candice%20and%20Shark

Shark's Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=71507

Cheryl Oickle

My philosophy for all creatures big and small..motion is lotion

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018