Are PPID/IR horses ever touchy when it's cold?

jmc

I'm blaming this on Yankee's PSSM2 but did want to check, as his muscle disease seems well controlled, but perhaps PPID/IR isn't, at the moment. This is just unusual for him - I stick my hand under his blankets all the time to ensure his muscles are warm and loose, when it's cold out - normally he doesn't react at all... but this year, both times we've had cold weather and I checked, he acted as if I'd stabbed him in the hip.  Good thing he's not a kicker, I totally wasn't expecting that reaction! Today, he kept moving away, though he finally let me touch his nose and check his shoulder. The quick feels I got, his muscles seemed loose and he seemed appropriately warm under there.

Just eliminating possibilities, I'll treat this as a PSSM2 issue unless someone here suggests otherwise. It was 74f yesterday, 65f at 8pm when the weather turned and I brought them in (not something i normally do, they're usually out in the paddock 24/7)... it was 26f this morning when I bundled everyone up and sent them out to their hay. They'll all come in tonight as the wind will continue and it'll be in the teens. Sigh, it's October, but apparently Mother Nature decided to give us a taste of January...

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Tanna

Hi Jody!

If PPID, and as a result EMS, are not well controlled there can be some touch-me-nots but I have seen this while just reaching under a blanket. Could static or anticipation of static be a factor? Try dampening your hand a touch before reaching under perhaps?

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Tanna

Sorry..have NOT seen this...

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sensitivity to touch is such a nonspecific reaction you really can't say it tells you much of anything about possible causes - just means the horse is preoccupied because he doesn't feel well, or is anxious about weather, or ??? Wish they could talk!

jmc

Tanna,

Having thought about this some, that's my current working theory - that he's getting shocked or anticipating one. He has gotten quite reactive to static shocks this year - I'm not sure if pulling the Back On Track mesh off of him is causing static (those BoTs do get staticy!) or if he's anticipating. I've had him react to just a sound that's sort of like a static sound, silly boy.

--
Jodi
June 2018
NW Wyoming

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Frances C.

I was guilty of giving static shock to my horses. I guess I'm charged! Wearing a nylon jacket was a surefire way to shock the horse as I drew off its blanket over its hind end. Now I do so very slowly and carefully and make sure I'm not wearing nylon.
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California