Topics

Alfalfa and sheath swelling

Patty

IF my horse is sensitive to alfalfa, would that contribute to his sheath swelling?  I've taken him off alfalfa pellets, and seems like his sheath isn't as swollen.  Or does colder weather play a part?  I don't know if his swollen sheath is just an IR issue or if any is from surgery. He was cryptorchid as a baby and got his incision packed with sawdust and had 2.5 hr surgery to remove 2 large abcesses 5-6 mo after original surgery.

I'm also trying to figure out rhyme or reason to when and which feet feel warm or cool.  This seems to be different all the time and I have no idea what is normal. Originally took him off alfalfa to see if I feel a difference in his feet.  He has not been lame.

He has just started on his balanced diet and his CH will be updated this week.  He now gets calcium carbonate, copper, zinc and no more TC 30%.

He's had a buddy now for two weeks and does run with her and chase her.

--
Patty

Sept 2016

Kernersville, NC

Rated G Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patty%20and%20Rated%20G

Rated G Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1908

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

No way to be 100% certain but with this history cold seems more likely.  These post castration problems lead to scarring and impaired drainage.  If your vet has an ultrasound, image his inguinal canals high in the groin and compare to a normal horse.  When abnormal it's very easy to see.

There are many reasons why a foot will feel more warm including having it under the body when down, sun warming, movement, standing with more weight on it. The same applies to pulses.  The  most important thing is to become accustomed to what the range of normal is.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 Course Sale

EC Owner 2001

Patty

Thank you Dr Kellon. I always thought his sheath swelling was from his surgery. He does have scar tissue becasue of the major surgery to remove the abcesses.  It was years before I even knew sheath swelling was a symptom of IR.

Sheath is swollen today and all feet are cool. It's 45 and raining today. I'll be watching both and see what is normal. Although sheath swelling can change by the minute.  He hasn't had pulse in legs in many months, but I've made it part of my routine to check him every morning after feeding.