Topics

Pergolide Strength #pergolidestrength

I now have a better understanding of compounded pergolide.  Thank you for the explanation.  As long as 10mg of pergolide from Pet Health controls her ACTH that is all I need to worry about.
--
Jean and Amber

South Carolina

August 2004

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gloria%20and%20Amber

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 05:35 am, Jean Kemmerer wrote:
 The pharmacy called my vet and told him that 1mg of their pergolide contains 1.31mg of pergolide.  So my question:  Am I giving my horse 10mg or 13.1mg of pergolide?

What they said is 1 mg - 1.31 mg of pergolide mesylate. In other words, they take the weight of the mesylate portion into consideration to make sure a 1 mg capsule actually has a full 1 mg of pergolide in it (like Permax).  The confusion comes in with a USP monograph giving instructions for preparing compounded liquid veterinary pergolide (they don't have one for powder or capsules) that called for 1 mg of pergolide mesylate rather than 1 mg of actual pergolide.  Pharmacies following that monograph were not providing a true 1 mg of actual pergolide.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 Course Sale

EC Owner 2001

Nancy C

Hi Jean

Here are links to a bunch of messages on this

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/196667?p=Created,,posterid%3A58231+%22as+pergolide+mesylate%22,100,2,0,2744993

You are giving 1 mg of actual pergolide from 1.31 mg pergolide mesylate.
--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org

I switched my prescription of 10mg pergolide to Pet Health in Arizona./  It was time for a new prescription and I needed 10mg since Ambers ACTH had gone up again (61.3).  I know there was discussion about the strength of pergolide but I didn't really follow it since I was using Thriving Pets and Amber was doing well.  Now since I have changed pharmacies the question of " how much pergolide is in 1 mg" has come up.  The pharmacy called my vet and told him that 1mg of their pergolide contains 1.31mg of pergolide.  So my question:  Am I giving my horse 10mg or 13.1mg of pergolide?