Possible ECIR Website Change For Newcomers

jsstults@...

Hello... My heart is breaking.  I took a walk with my dog thru the boarding stable in my neighborhood yesterday.  Stopped to visit with a woman whose horse was standing outside her corral in that typical lamnitic stance.  This beautiful horse had that glazed over look in her eyes that disappeared for just a few seconds when I walked up to say hello.  The owner told me that the horse had foundered several months ago and had been on Bute ever since.  The mare was recently shod with a pair of clogs in front.  The woman was trying to get the mare to walk because "it was important to get the blood circulation going to her feet". The obviously depressed owner told me that she felt it was time to end her 19 year old mare's suffering because none of the multiple vet's or farriers she had consulted had been able to help her in any significant way and she was at the end of her financial resources. I wrote down the ECIR's website address and encouraged her to visit the site and the outreach group.

I am writing to ask you to consider adding one or two lines to the first paragraqph of the Introduction on the ECIR home page... Something like... "If you have a horse currently suffering from laminitis/founder, you have come to the right place for help.  Please read the content of our website and use the link provided at the bottom of this page to Email our Administrator and get started on your way to having more peace of mind that you are doing the very best possible to help your horse".

I am sure you talk about this all the time... but perhaps a session at the next NO Laminitis Conference to brainstorm on how best to get the word out to practicing veterinarians.  Likely this has already been attempted or done, but could Drs Kellon and Bowker get on the schedule at upcoming AAEP conferences?

This is the second horse in my neighborhood that has been treated with Bute well beyond the initial onset of laminitis.  That horse was put to sleep because the owner felt that it was in two much pain after she had been walking it every day and letting it graze  "in moderation".  So tragic because this was an 18 year old horse with a truly inspirational bond to its owner.  One that she had raised from a weanling and taken to Grand Prix dressage levels. Few horses received or returned more love or devotion... The owner just followed her vet's instructions when he became laminitic and the end to their love story was truly a sad one.

Like you, I want to save all the suffering horses, but what credibility do I have as a stranger walking by with their dog???  Damn It!!  I forgot to ask Santa for a magic wand for Christmas.

Thank you for listening...

Sally 04/2013

Big Park, Arizona

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20and%20Tabby

Sally - I know your pain.  I have saved one horse by arguing with the owner against what her vet was telling her.  Directed her to the ECIR page and asked her if what we suggest here would in any way jeopardize her horse's health - what could she lose by trying our protocol for a month?  Unbeknownst to me she did come to our page and read and wouldn't you know it her horse, who had been slightly lame for years then actually foundered, became sound. She confessed to me a year later when I saw a picture of her and a friend (who was riding the foundered horse) riding on the beach.  To this day she will not let that horse even look at grass.

Then last night at a going away party for a friend I overheard a conversation between an acquaintance and my farrier.  Her horse has been slightly lame since April.  The vet has taken xrays and the farrier has put hoof testers on her but they just can't seem to find any one thing, it must be muscular.  As soon as I could get her alone I of course started asking questions and suggesting that she paddock her horse and feed her just hay.  I will email her and ask her to read the ECIR webpage.  She admitted to me that the vet told her to put her horse on a low sugar/starch diet and she is feeding her TC Lite but the horse is on grass.

I know people think I am insane and obsessed with the "IR thing" but our protocol does work.  We can't save them all but we can give it a good try.

--

Jean and Amber

South Carolina

August 2004

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gloria%20and%20Amber

 Heart-breaking is right - it is tragic.  Preventable pain and death is always tragic.  One of the tough things is that people aren't always ready to hear what we say, but every time the protocol is mentioned, and the successes, I think it plants the seed.

We are in the process of developing a new website, as you know, and your suggestion will definitely be taken up, as well as, I believe, a "Crisis Button" right on the first page.

Achieving RACE status is allowing us to get more information out to more veterinarians, but it sure is a slow process :(.  We had quite a few veterinarians and veterinary technicians attending the last conference, as well as a goodly group of hoof care professionals, who often are the first people to deal with the owners of a laminitic horse. The FaceBook page is another effort to get the information out to people, so that they can direct their veterinarians to us, and to the published proceedings; similarly, the educational films (next one will be about diagnosis).

I also very much like the brainstorming to get the information out idea.

Thanks, Sally and Jean!

--

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

It was just pointed out to me that another way to help is that once the 2017 Conference fliers are available, they can be dropped off at vet clinics, vet schools, feed stores, etc.
--

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Nancy C

This would be especially helpful in Arizona, as the conference will take place in Tucson.

2017 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 27-29, Tucson, AZ

More info coming shortly!
--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org

Nancy C

Also

Our new film was designed to be a nonthreatening way to show the possible.

https://vimeo.com/195362730
--
Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Bonnie

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 01:17 pm, Nancy C wrote:
https://vimeo.com/195362730

Bonnie

Hello Nancy, and all who worked on the film,

Have you considered putting it up on Youtube as well as Vimeo? There are a number of videos that come up when you search under "youtube laminitis". Most of them blame "lush grass full of fructans". Remedies in a package, hoof appliances, or frightening-looking surgery are offered as solutions. But for every video on the subject of laminitis that appears, there is a column of others appearing beside it. I think the ECIR video should be one of those, and it could counter some of the misinformation.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad, IR, PPID

Bonnie

Replying to myself because the post disappeared.

To Nancy and all who worked on the film: Could it be put on Youtube also? If you do a search"youtube laminitis" you get a number of videos saying the cause is "lush grass full of fructans". There are fixes such as supplements, hoof appliances, and really scary surgery presented. But each video that comes up has a column of related videos beside it. If people searching for information found the ECIR video displayed there it might help them understand more about the real causes and a working protocol.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08

Lad, IR, PPID

Lorna Cane

It's here,Bonnie - #204004

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Johnson, Cathy

I tried to talk to our vet about the ECIR group, including the problems associated with feeding uncapsulated Pergolyde powder, which was his recommendation.  I didn't really get anywhere........  I agree that getting the information out that there is a non-biased research group focused on eliminating laminitis and that they have protocols that work is critical.
--
Cathy Johnson

Roy, WA

October 12, 2016

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cathy%20and%20Red

Lorna Cane

Can't he just prescribe the capsules? At least he's on board with the compounded product.One baby step more.............