Floss Blood Work

Tori & Floss

I  had Floss's bloods done on 22/12/2016.

It has been sent to me but not presented as a lab report.

The vet wrote * In-house Glucose test carried out on Accu-check Performa Unit and Glucose Score is 5.5mmol/l on 22/12/2016.

The normal range Glucose for Equine is 0.56 - 38.85mmol/l so Floss is within low to normal range*.

I have rung them to ask for the Insulin levels are and the vet told me as the glucose levels are low/good the insulin levels are the same?

Is this a good enough Blood test to add to my Case History?

Thank you.

--
Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Paula Hancock

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 09:42 pm, <toriadore@...> wrote:
I have rung them to ask for the Insulin levels are and the vet told me as the glucose levels are low/good the insulin levels are the same?

 Hi Tori,

You want the actual test result numbers, the units, (such as mmol/l you provided for the glucose) and the normal range for all the test results.  Your vet should provide any results of tests you had done.  If you need to review the tests you need, you can review Pauline's email to you.

--
Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx

Hi, Tori - The usual lab normals for glucose are 4 - 6 mmol/L, so although the result looks normal, the "lab normals" are a mistake, thus casting doubt on the whole thing (most likely due to typos on the part of your vet).  Even horses with very extreme IR and enormously high insulin levels often have normal glucose levels (they are very different from dogs, cats and people in this effect), so the glucose levels can't tell you anything about the insulin levels. Can your vet scan and email a copy of the report to you, or send the report as an attachment?
--

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

PS - if you can email the vet clinic (preferably the office administrator, if there is one), then it is easy for them to grab those results and fire them off to you. If you ring, often the messages get lost in the slough of messages cluttering up the vet's desk.
--

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Tori & Floss

Thanks for all your replies :-)

I have spoken to the vet twice and he basically read out to me the above plus told me that he did not know where to send a blood sample to be tested for Leptin.

He does his blood test in house and the results he sent back where typed on a piece of Letterhead and said what I copied above The vet wrote * In-house Glucose test carried out on Accu-check Performa Unit and Glucose Score is 5.5mmol/l on 22/12/2016.

The normal range Glucose for Equine is 0.56 - 38.85mmol/l so Floss is within low to normal range*

There is no formal report at all and no chance of getting one.

I'm beginning to think more and more the vets around here have no clue :-(

I will download and copy off exactly what is needed and ring another vet.

Thanks again!

Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Tori & Floss

Thanks for all your replies :-)

I have spoken to the vet twice. The bloods were tested in house at the vet clinic. He told me he didn't know where to send the sample to get a result for

The results have been emailed to me and are on a piece of the vet practices letterhead and say exactly what I wrote in my first message.

The vet wrote * In-house Glucose test carried out on Accu-check Performa Unit and Glucose Score is 5.5mmol/l on 22/12/2016.

The normal range Glucose for Equine is 0.56 - 38.85mmol/l so Floss is within low to normal range*

It sounds to me like I need to copy off the recommendations of Paulines to get all the results I need.

I'm beginning to feel more and more that the vets in my part of the world are clueless :-(

--
Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Tori & Floss

I have finally found a fabulous vet who is really onboard and knowledgable about laminitis and have had a full blood work up done for Floss.

Can I copy and paste it here or is it better to add it to my Case History?

Cheers Tori
--

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:01 pm, <toriadore@...> wrote:
Can I copy and paste it here or is it better to add it to my Case History?

Hi Tori,

That's great news that you have a vet who is more willing to work with you!

Please add the results to your case history and fill in the IR calculation results section as well.  If you have specific questions about the results, you can post that here.

--
Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR/PPID)