I fed zinc instead of calcium/best place to buy calcium

Patty

So, I did something really stupid (darn Fibro and brain).  When I was to put more calcium in the container I feed it from, I'm pretty sure I put zinc in it. So, yesterday and today my horse didn't want to eat his breakfast - that's when he gets the minerals. He's supposed to get 1 tablespoon calcium carbonate and about 3/4 of a 1/4 teaspoon zinc (hope that makes sense - was told to give a very rounded 1/8 tsp, but don't have 1/8 tsp to measure with). I think he was getting his normal amount of zinc and an additional tablespoon (since I'm pretty sure it wasn't calcium I put in container). It was only 2 days so I'm not super concerned. He didn't eat it all and the pony finished his feed.

Should I skip feeding the zinc (or maybe skip zinc, copper and calcium) for a couple days, or feed the regular amounts starting tomorrow?

Also, where is cheapest place to buy calcium carbonate?  Seems my 5 lb bag is going to go kinda quickly with feeding it to two.  I bought from HorseTech

thank you all again for help!!!

--
Patty

Sept 2016

Kernersville, NC

Rated G Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patty%20and%20Rated%20G

Rated G Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1908

Sally Hugg

Hi Patty -

Food grade calcium carbonate is often available from businesses that sell wine making supplies. If you check around locally you might be able to find someone that would sell you a 50 lb. bag.

Here is an online source that sells 5 lbs. for $12 and also has free shipping :)

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=FGcc5f&gclid=Cj0KEQiAy53DBRCo4en29Zvcla0BEiQAVIDccz4PZ7kjmNLskLfDCcEJ9T4opWyfo1KcqKwWs1NyZNMaAuY08P8HAQ

It's a good idea to invest in an inexpensive gram scale to check your measuring spoons and scoops. Many culinary supply stores sell small scales that weigh in grams as well as pounds and ounces. Kitchen measuring spoons are not very accurate for measuring trace minerals where we are often trying to dose in milligrams. Doesn't mean you can't use them (all of my measuring spoons seem to end up at the barn), but weigh out what they hold for each item you are feeding and jot it down for reference. I use a sharpie to write it on the container. It really helps me to remember!

Sally Hugg

2003

N.California

Hi, Patty - Dr. Kellon says the NRC upper suggested safe mineral intake for zinc is 5,000 mg daily, but that safe levels are probably ten times this, especially short term. If you are using zinc sulfate, with 35.5% zinc content, then the rounded tablespoon plus the 1/8th will be about 31 grams (just measured that volume of zinc sulfate on my scale). That gives about 11,000 mg of zinc; so over two days, not a big deal. If you are using zinc proteinate, or some other form of zinc, it will be much, much less (depending on which one).

It won't hurt to skip the zinc for 24 hours; or just skip all the minerals for 24 hours, then start again.

I wonder if you can order feed-grade calcium carbonate from your feed store?

--

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Patty

Turns out the ponies did not finish the feed today. I had left it out where they could get it and bucket wasn't clean. Smart ponies, stupid human!

Thank you Jaini for the numbers.  I have been meaning to call a local feed store to see if they have it.

I appreciate the link for the food grade Ca carb.  I think I saw that before I ordered, but the person who did my balancing didn't recommend ordering except from known sources. And something amount the actual amount that's in it determines how much I need to feed?  Does anybody know if I can use what's available at that link and how much I would feed?  Or do I need to call company to find out how much cal is in it? I think Horsetech is 38%, but not sure I'm saying this correctly. I really need to cut back costs.

I will eventually look at getting a gram scale, but for now I have to pay off my $400 credit card bill and I don't even have that. Over 1/2 of that is from horses (hay analysis and minerals) and cats. And one cat is going to vet on Tues (ringworm again and/or allergies). Just trying to hang on and do what I can for my horse.  Hopefully finances will change in a couple months.

Thank you!!!!

--
Patty

Sept 2016

Kernersville, NC

Rated G Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patty%20and%20Rated%20G

Rated G Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1908

Lorna Cane

Patty, I don't see any bloodwork in the CH.Is it available, or maybe you haven't done any testing?

>> Hopefully finances will change in a couple months.

If you're using the Remission for its magnesium, it would be less expensive to use mag ox from your feed store.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Patty

I have not done any bloodwork. I cannot afford it at this time.  He is no longer on Remission - only ca carbonate, zinc, and copper were recommended by balancer from hay analysis.  Hope this is correct, because I always thought Remission helped him.  No longer on TC 30%.

I cannot update CH on my own. I sent updates to LeeAnne before Christmas, but haven't heard from her.  Was waiting till after holidays to contact her again.  I don't have emergencies, so I feel I can wait till after holidays.  Unfortunately, I hit send before I finished all my updates, so don't want to be too much a bother to LeeAnne.  I am very thankful for all her help and trying not to be too difficult.

I did briefly look at gram scales and if I can find an inexpensive one that weighs small enough amount, I should be able to get one.

This is what was recommended to give him:

"Between 7.5 to 10  grams of elemental calcium
200 mg of zinc ( .9 grams of poly zinc 22%)

80 mg of copper ( .6 grams of poly copper 12.7%)"