Pentoxifylline and J herb

TERRI JENNINGS

Hi all,
I’m very grateful for all the things I’ve been learning this past week since joining. I’m eager to get copies of all of the bloodwork we’ve done to start my case histories. In the mean time, I have a few questions regarding J herb.  Finnegan 14 year old quarter horse/pony cross (IR) was prescribed pentoxifylline which seemed to help us get thru his last crisis.  We have been weaning him off of it for a few weeks. We are down to once a day dosing and moving to every other day dosing tomorrow. I just received my j herb and I’d like to start it ASAP.

How long after he is off of the pentoxifylline can I start the J herb and what would his dosage be?  He weighs close to 600 pounds. Does J herb help with cold induced foot pain?

Thank you,
Terri and Finn (IR)
--
Terri Jennings
Arcata, CA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Pentoxifylline is cleared very quickly. You can start the next day. Jiaogulan instructions are here https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Jiaogulan,%20Nitric%20Oxide%20Support,%20AAKG%20and%20Supps/Jiaogulan%20Doses%20and%20Precautions.pdf .  If given in food, double the starting dose. Yes, it helps with cold.

Joy V

Question for Dr. Kellon,

Is J herb safe to administer if my gelding is on daily CBD pellets for arthritis pain?  It may be unknown.  Thank you in advance.

Joy V. & Willie - Northern California

Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

This isn't in-horse information but there is the potential for CBD to either interfere with or increase the J effects on nitric oxide.  I would start with half the usual starting dose and watch gum/tongue color closely. Let us know how it turns out.

Joy V

Thank you Dr. Kellon.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

TERRI JENNINGS

Thank you! Starting on Monday. Excited to see how it helps my boy.
--
Terri Jennings
Arcata, CA