Splash Lab results

k frog

Hi All,

 I have the results from the ACTH 13.5 pg/mL, Insulin 45.12 uIU/mL, Leptin 10.04 ng/mL, Glucose 90mg/dL testing back on Splash. Please see her case history (to be updated soon by LeeAnne) for results.  My interpretation is that she is uncompensated I/R and not PPID. Please correct me if I am wrong.

 In light of these results I would love some advice. Is my diet not tight enough? My hay tests at 10.3% ESC/Starch and I am soaking it for one hour. I am thinking of retesting this hay to verify the results that were given to me by the hay dealer at the time of purchase. Does this seem a reasonable path to investigate? I have enough of this hay in my loft for the rest of this season. Is it possible that even soaking this hay is not going to work for her?

 Exercise? I will have radiographs taken again in a few weeks. If those show that her feet are back in balance, and she is travelling sound, would it be possible to start her back into some kind of exercise? I realize ideally her feet need a full year to rebuild the damaged capsule, but without exercise?

 When should I retest her Insulin and/or not, Glucose? And can I retest those values at a different lab?(I can run those tests at Antech through my work at a discount)

 I am so glad I have the depth of knowledge that is here to help me navigate my way through this.  Splash and I thank you for your help.

--
Karen F

October 2013

Molalla, Oregon

Case History for Splash: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Splash

Photo Album for Splash: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1994

Paula Hancock

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 03:55 pm, k frog wrote:

[...]

 Hi Karen,

The results indicate that insulin is not controlled, so you have your diagnosis part of the DDTE protocol.  Now you are questioning your diet, which is the right thing to do.  Looking at your hay analysis, it ought to soak out well.  I had a similar hay, soaked 7 lbs in a 15 gallon tub filled with well water, soaked for an hour, drained well, and when I dried a sample and sent it for testing, it came back about 6% ESC + starch.  The starch won't change because it isn't very water soluble, but the ESC should come down 30% or more.  How much water are you using?  Are you draining it well?  You could dry a sample and get that retested along side a new hay test of the unsoaked.  Retesting the hay is a good idea, using the trainer's package.  Is she getting any grass?  Unauthorized treats?

Exercise is the best IR buster there is, but only to the extent that she is comfortable and walking correctly,  For more information:

http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/ddt-overview/ddt-exercise

It's best to test both insulin and glucose to monitor her IR status, but I wouldn't retest until you've made some changes that may be improving her insulin.  Cornell is the recommended lab for this blood work.
--
Paula with Cory (IR) and Onyx (IR/PPID)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx

LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...>

 'Tis done: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Splash
--

- ​LeeAnne, Newmarket, Ontario - Email me (If link doesn't work use ECIR.Archives at gmail dot com)
Dawn's 10 Year Case History

ECIR Archivist March,2004

Are you in the Pergolide Dosage Database?

View the Database Stats

k frog

Hi Paula,

 Thank you for your comments.

 In regards to my soaking method, I soak the hay in a 27gallon tub. I put the hay net in the tub, place a bucket full of water for weight on the hay, and fill the tub until the hay is submerged, probably 10-12 gallons. I soak for a minimum of one hour, sometimes up to two. I pull the hay net out of the water and set it on a metal grate (that used to be in my slow feeder box until I noticed it was wearing grooves in my horses teeth) raised up off the ground to drain. On days I work and time is limited, I drain about 15min, it seems to have stopped dripping. This is 3 days a week. The other days of the week, the hay drains at least 30 minutes.

 In regards to grass or unauthorized treats, the closest thing to that would be the handful of dry, unsoaked hay I give her to keep her satisfied while she watches me prepare her upcoming meal. I am changing this by splitting her beet pulp supplement feeding to twice daily, instead of once daily, so I can give her this safe choice. On days I don't work I am able to feed her multiple times a day, on days I work, I have to feed twice daily.

I am planning to send a new hay sample in for testing, both dry and soaked. I inquired at EA about preparing the soaked hay for them and they suggested soaking it as I do, then drying it 'for awhile' before packing it up to send to them. Do you know what 'awhile' might mean? I have a food dehydrator I could use, or do they just mean 'not dripping wet'?

Thank you for the direct link to the exercise recommendation. It is well written and clear that Splash isn't quite there yet, but a great guideline.

Thank you again Paula
--

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 06:00 am, k frog wrote:
I am planning to send a new hay sample in for testing, both dry and soaked. I inquired at EA about preparing the soaked hay for them and they suggested soaking it as I do, then drying it 'for awhile' before packing it up to send to them. Do you know what 'awhile' might mean? I have a food dehydrator I could use, or do they just mean 'not dripping wet'?

 Hi Karen,

Your best bet is to spread the hay out and let the it air dry until it seems as dry as your unsoaked hay.  Humidity and air temperature will affect the amount of time.  You don't need a big sample, just a good handful.  Don't ship it wet as it might start to ferment if stored in a warm place, which could actually lower the sugar level before you get it tested. (Those little microbes use sugar in the fermentation process...)  I wouldn't add heat but you could use a fan to move the air around it to speed the drying. I let mine sit for a couple days.

It sounds like your soaking process is fine and you made good use of the old grate!  When I need to soak hay, I soak all the hay I need for the day, about 7 or 8 lbs in  each of three 15 gallon tubs, dump all of them, let them drain until I need them.  I like to soak one meal ahead if I can, so I don't have to make Cory wait.