trailer laminitic horse

jakehorse10

Hi, it has been 6 weeks since mild laminitic episode (IR/undiagnosed PPID/cold) and I now have to move my horse. I am very nervous about how to do this as safely as possible. He will have his Cloud boots, shipping boots, a regular trailer mat. Should I get an extra thick foam or gel mat, thick bedding?? Any help or tips would be appreciated on what I should or should not do to hopefully avoid a relapse.

btw - he's been on Prascend and looks much better, vet and farrier are impressed at how good he looks and how well he moves.
--
Monti/Jake in Mich 2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Monti%20and%20Jake

I don't think you would gain much by putting thick bedding on the trailer floor as long as his boots have good pads. But you do want enough good absorbent bedding down, especially under his hindquarters to prevent the rubber mats becoming slippery from manure/urine. Make it a slow cautious trip, you never know when some goofus will do something stupid right in front of you!

- Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

Charles County, Maryland

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

gypsylassie

Good work getting your boy on the way to recovery.  Are you familiar with wood pellet bedding?   A good layer of "well fluffed" pellets provide good footing and are very absorbent.  They definitely need to be completely fluffed.  If you haven't used them, it seems weird,  but put the pellets in the trailer, then wet them down a bit, let them absorb the water, then repeat until they are all fluffed, raking with a sturdy garden rake.   As long as you don't drench them, they won't be too wet and will absorb urine very nicely.  Hope all goes well at the new barn.   (Did anyone at the old barn learn anything from watching Jake improve?)
Laura K Chappie and Beau
N IL 2011

Sent from my iPad

Mary M.

HI Monti,

Another option is wood shavings. I like the bigger ones rather than the ones that are more fine. They are easier to sweep out, do not get into small crevices so much, and do not blow around. Having them under back end is most useful as others noted to absorb manure and moisture. I use them all the time when i trailer for cushion and absolution.

Mary and Katie

Chelsea, MI 2012

jakehorse10

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:03 am, gypsylassie wrote:
Hope all goes well at the new barn.   (Did anyone at the old barn learn anything from watching Jake improve?)
Laura K Chappie and Beau
N IL 2011

Sent from my iPad

Thank you! Not sure they understand....especially the concept of cold induced laminitis.