Frequent abscessing and new coughing issue...

Kelly <sincere121@...>

Hello,

My apologies is this post belongs more in the hoof and/or horse-keeping section.  Buddy had a mild laminitic event about 4 years ago.  Since then, I have tightly controlled his diet and mineral supps as per your recommendations.  We found a different farrier in July 2015 and I think his feet are looking better than ever.  Unfortunately, he continues to have frequent episodes of abscesses - I would say 5-6 per year.  They are almost always a long, drawn-out 2 week long affair of leg swelling and alternating between 3 legged lame to barely lame before finally resolving at the heel bulb.  I began rasping his toes back weekly a couple of months ago and switched to a 5 week trim schedule.  Farrier said this is helping a lot and there is very minimal separation at the quarters where he tends to flare.

Our new issue is the cough.  Last summer, he had a couple of days where he coughed a few times when I started riding, then he quickly worked out of it.  This winter, he started coughing while just standing in the barn.  Vet thought virus at first, but now thinks likely allergies.  I have been wetting down his hay and this does help.  I can go a week without hearing a cough, but every once and awhile he lowers his head and hacks.  He did it yesterday after getting scared and running around his dry lot and putting the grazing muzzle on him causes him to start coughing.

My questions:  Any ideas on what more we can do to prevent these abscesses?  Why do they continue to happen?  Does he have some kind of permanent damage and it will just always be this way?  Should we try spirulina and/or j-herb?  I am more concerned about the cough right now as I will start riding him (dressage) again when the weather improves (he has winters off - no indoor arena) and I am afraid this problem will only get worse.  He is on low dust bedding and has an open barn with access to a small dry lot.  Yes, the hay is in the barn as I have no where else to put it.  Will the j-herb cause his abscess issue to get even worse?  Dosing on the spirulina and j-herb for 1100lb Paint?  Is this coughing only going to get worse?  I  can't put him out in the pasture as recommended for allergies because of his laminitis history...???

Thanks,

Kelly & Buddy (10 yr old reg Paint gelding, dressage when the weather cooperates)

2014 Illinois

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kelly,

Regarding the abscessing, it would be really helpful to see current pictures of his feet. No, he shouldn't keep abscessing forever - that it has been occurring this frequently and regularly is a sign that something isn't quite right.

Could you please make a photo album for him here on the new Groups.io Case History sub-group Photos section:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory

If you haven't joined since we switched over, you'll need to do that first.

All the instructions you need can be found in the Wiki here on the main group:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki

J-herb will help with mobilizing abscesses because it helps increase circulation. Are you using any NSAIDs when he abscesse? If so, that will slow down the process. Soaking and poulticing tend to help, as will light movement, so no need to confine him when these nasty things are brewing.

If the hay is being stored overhead it is a huge negative for respiratory issues as it creates constant dust hanging in the air. Know that you may not be able to do anything about that, just pointing out the connection. Need others with more experience with lung isuues to jump in here with suggestions.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

kguest@...

The vets will be able to give you excellent information, but anecdotally I have had great success with spirulina for a (possibly--I'm awaiting blood test results) IR horse who had a persistent dry cough that came and went over a long period of time. He was vetted and the swab confirmed a bacterial infection; vet prescribed antibiotics and dex--I did not like the risks associated with the side effects of these so decided to try spirulina instead and it had a great effect. No cough since.

Kristen and Jasper, BC

December 2016

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 07:23 am, Kelly wrote:

[...]

kellyj k

Thank you for your replies.  I will get some pix today and attempt to add them to a new album.  He was just trimmed yesterday and my farrier brought a second (barefoot) trimmer with him for a second opinion.  She suggested continuing with the weekly rasping tweaks and something about slippering his heels a little more to my farrier.  Our EasyBoot Trails size 1 no longer seem to fit his foot and they thought maybe some epics would work better for when he gets ouchy.  I normally do not ride with boots because we have a soft grass arena, but I have used them during abscess episodes and whenever he seems tender.

I try to avoid any NSAIDS when he is abscessing and only have resorted to them when he is in great distress.  The last abscess (left front) had him laying down for 2 days and I gave him 1g bute per day for 2 days just to get him moving around a little, then I stopped it.  I do animalintex poultices along with ichthammol wraps, sometimes an epsom salt soak.  Every time the vet or farrier has gone hunting for an active abscess, they have never found it - so I have concluded it may be best not to "look".  He virtually never reacts to hoof testers even when quite lame, which makes things more difficult as well.

The hay is thankfully NOT stored overhead.  To be honest, I am not sure I can deal with yet another health issue with this horse.  He has a wonderful temperament and I have put almost 5 years of work into him, but I am getting pretty stressed about the situation.  My budget is tight, which does not help.

I'll get the new pix this afternoon.  Thanks for your help!

Kelly and Buddy
2014 Illinois

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Lavinia Fiscaletti <shilohmom@...> wrote:

[...]

I have uploaded some pix of Buddy's feet and will add more as soon as my slow connection will allow.  I can also try to load some older pix for comparison.  I would say the abscessing has improved the past 18 months, but not as much as I had hoped it would.  He seems to get them more frequently during times when he is not consistently ridden.  The wet then frozen then wet winter has not helped.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM, kellyj k <kelly.jstgetnby12@...> wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about the older pix - they are available in your old album on the Yahoo site. If you have a lot of trouble getting the new pix to load here, send me a private note with them attached and I can get them up for you.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Lin Reuther

Hi Kristen,

Can I use Spirulina with prascend?  Also, any advice on where to purchase it?

Thanks for the help!

Lin and Charlie, Vermont

April, 2016

kguest@...

I don't know about combining with prascend. You can get it at My Best Horse.

Kristen and Jasper, BC

December 2016

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Spirulina is fine with Prascend/pergolide.