Need advice re: Ontario balanced cubes

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

I live in No. CA and my horse, Khaiti, and my entire family, along with 200,000 other folks were evacuated, with no notice at all, two weeks ago. Fortunately, my veterinarians at Loomis Basin Equine Facility had stalls for us in their barn. The 50 mile drive took 6 hours. My mare, who has not had to leave her home for 20 years, was stressed beyond belief. still evacuated, 6 days later, she colicked with a gas colic. Fortunately, she was already at the clinic and so she had fabulous and immediate care. Doing MUCH better and she will actually be able to remain as a boarder there. Khaiti is 34, so this was very traumatic. Since this episode, we cannot get her to even consider eating her Ontario balanced cubes.  Getting her to eat again was crucial so after discussion, her doctors and I decided to have her fed Timothy hay.  It is not tested so have no idea the numbers on it. I would like to get her back on the cubes due to her IR issues. Any suggestions? I can't "starve her out" obviously. We have left a bucket of them in her stall to encourage her to munch on them when she feels like it but to no avail. She is eating all of the hay, though. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Theresa,

Sorry to hear that you were displaced by the flooding but glad everyone is OK.

For now, have the timothy hay soaked and feed her the emergency diet. Given the circumstances, that would be the safest option until you can return to your own facility.

Can also try giving her APF to help combat the stress she is undergoing.

Thoughts are with you during this trying time.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

thank you! i will have her back on the APF as soon as I can get back to my facility to pick it up. she is actually going to become a permanent boarder at the equine hospital. i am so relieved you can't believe it.  i hope they will be willing to soak hay. i don't know if that is going to happen or not.  i'm so glad you reminded me of the APF. if i can't get back to our old barn i will definitely order it and have it here by tuesday.  they have been wonderful with transitioning  her very slowly from the hospital barn to her dry paddock and stall area. a few minutes yesterday, a few more today, etc. all changes are slow and careful.

Hi, Theresa - Good advice from Lavinia. I just wanted to add that all of our thoughts are with you at this time. Having a senior horse under these circumstances is really tough, and I am glad she can stay at the equine hospital.

If there is any flavouring that she particularly likes, (aniseed powder, fenugreek, peppermint etc), you could try sprinkling it on top of her ODTB cubes and see if that perks her interest.
--

Jaini Clougher (BSc,BVSc)

Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy, Ranger

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Hi, Theresa.

I can't imagine evacuating my 34 year old horse! I'm so glad you found a place for her.

I hope others here in NorCal can pipe up with their results....but the California and Oregon timothy hays I've tested - and it hasn't been many - were all low in sugar and starch. It doesn't mean the vet's timothy hay isn't a problem. Can you find out where it's from? The timothy hays I've tested were high in iron.

--
Cass for Satra and Cayuse
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cass%20and%20Satra%20-%20Cayuse

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

Hi, Cass, that is so good to hear. i am going to ask Loomis Basin where the hay is from and hopefully set my mind at ease a bit.

Evacuating Khaiti from her home for the past 20 years was horrific. I couldn't get to her; the roads were closed. I live in Roseville and Khaiti was in Yuba City. My wonderful friend was stuck for two hours to drive the 5 miles to the barn to pick up Khaiti and her Goldie. She got them in the trailer; my good girl climbed right in. And then the 50 mile ride took 6 hours. :(  it was so traumatic.  But Loomis Basin Equine Hospital, Dr. Fielding, and ALL of the staff have been remarkable.  I unloaded her that morning at 2:00 a.m. and sat down and cried once i got home. tears of fear and relief. She has been there for two weeks. Through the colic issue and ready to transition from the barn to her lovely covered paddock, complete with mats, cover, and shavings. She has round the clock there with eyes always on her. The farrier is there. She will have the best of care.

Thank you for the hay info. I truly appreciate it.

Sincerely, Theresa and Khaiti

Theresa Leri <tleri@...>

Thank you, Jaini; i hadn't thought of flavoring because she is totally suspicious of anything different. She sniffs out hand soap, lotion, you name it.  But we will keep at it until we find the right fix! thanks for the suggestion!