Topics

Stabul1 vs Beetpulp

Natalie Washburn

Good afternoon,

Can someone point me in the direction of nutritional information for Stabul1?  I'm specifically wanting to know if Stabul1 is higher in calories than r/s/r beetpulp.

I am considering switching my gelding from beetpulp to Stabul as he's less likely to choke on Stabul, but do not want to decrease calories as he's thin and needs to put on weight.

Thanks!

-Natalie & Jay in Texas

Nov 2002

NRC & NAT 2008

Jay - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Natalie%20and%20Jay

Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1902&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Calories are the same (beet pulp dry, before soaking).

Has your horse choke on soaked beetpulp? I have seen horses choke on dry beet pulp, and dry pellets.

Bonnie Snodgrass

--
- Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

Charles County, Maryland

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Natalie Washburn

Thanks Dr. Kellon!  I think it may be a good option for him.

Hi Bonnie!  Yes.  My gelding chokes on (r/s/r) beetpulp about once every few months.... despite it being soaked and fed 'soupy' with three big rocks in his tub.  The Stabul 1 pellets break down into a true mush when wetted down, making it even easier to swallow.  He loves the banana flavor too.

Thanks!
~Natalie & Jay in Texas
Nov 2002

NRC & NAT 2008

Jay - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Natalie%20and%20Jay

Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1902&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Has your horse choked on soaked beetpulp? I have seen horses choke on dry beet pulp, and dry pellets.

Bonnie Snodgrass

Ack! That is bad! I understand needing to find a solution. I had a mare choke a couple of times, once on hah, once on BP. She would grab feed and swallow without chewing sufficiently. She had a background of being fed low quantities of high calorie feed so she had to stand around for hojrs with nothing to chew on. After I got her she had hay or grass 24/7 but never got over her anxiety about feed.

Out of curiosity, does your horse get hay first, then his "feed"? Hungry horses are often the ones who grab big mouth fulls and swallow too fast. I've see this several times.