Best prices for quality minerals

Shannon

I'm really having to crunch down on finances.  What are the best minerals for the best price for ground flax (Omega, right?), vitamin E, and magnesium?  Majik has no problem licking the bottom of the bucket - or my hand - so far!  Her coat is shiny, her feet are looking great (just uploaded new pix), and she bright and attentive.  My heart is soaring, but I have to add a part time job to be able to keep her in this program (which I'm more than happy to do).  Thanks in advance!
--
Shannon and Majik (IR) and Rafiq (PPID/IR, over the rainbow bridge)
Houston 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shannon%20and%20Majik%20and%20Rafiq

Majik's Photo Album

Rafiq's Photo Album

Sandy Carr

Shannon,

Totally understand!  I am brand new to the world of ECIR and am "questing" the minerals, etc. just to get the e-diet started.  I finally found the best price on whole flax seed (since none of my Triple Crown dealers would order the Natural Golden Ground flax seed - stabilized ground flax with a 2 year shelf life) for me.  Grrrrr.

I went to a feed MILL, not a feed STORE (google feed MILLS) and bought 50# of flax for $26.  (One of the feed stores wanted $60 for the same bag.) I went to Walmart and bought a Krups coffee bean grinder, super easy to clean, for $18.  I am set for a long time with those two items.

Also at Walmart I bought Spring Valley Vitamin E 1000 IU.  I can't remember the price but I know it was way under $10.  60 soft gels, with soybean oil in them, should last me 30 days.

Iodized salt, ditto, Walmart.  (Closest store to me, 70 miles away.)

Magnesium oxide is on order from Uckele.  2# for $12.95 plus, gulp, $5 shipping.

So I'm set up.  More minerals will probably be added to my collection as I get my hay balanced, etc.

--
Sandy

March 2017, Corona, New Mexico, USA

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Andy .

celestinefarm

Shannon,

You can order the Triple Crown Golden Flax directly from Triple Crown , with free shipping. It's a 25lb bag, not 50# but it is ground stabilized and soooo much easier than grinding flax every day.  I use it when I can't get Horseshine locally. If you prefer, you can order Horseshine ground flax online also, but it is more expensive.

https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/store/

https://www.omegafields.com/equine-products/omega-horseshine-37.html

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Shannon

I have been using SimplyFlax only because it was at the local feed store.  Elevate for Vitamin E was just my go to b/c I wanted quality in a hurry.  I used Omega Horseshine in the past and it was great.  I have to get the smaller bag b/c I store it in the house.  Houston gets ridiculously hot and and humid, and I want my minerals to be in buckets or at least inside.  I love that Vitamin E is so easy, too.  Much much cheaper.  Thank you both for the good go-to spots!  :)

--
Shannon and Majik (IR) and Rafiq (PPID/IR, over the rainbow bridge)
Houston 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shannon%20and%20Majik%20and%20Rafiq

Majik's Photo Album

Rafiq's Photo Album

Lavinia Fiscaletti

One of the best prices for vit E is Swanson:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-natural-vitamin-e-1000-iu-250-sgels

You can set up auto refill on your orders, which gives a bit more of a discount. They also run specials regularly that make the savings even better.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Linda A <ojaildy@...>

But Swansons has soy oil in their Vitamin E...like the 1,000 iu though
--
-Linda

Ojai, Ca

September 2016

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20and%20Peanut

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

That's correct - vit E needs to be in contact with fat to be absorbed properly. If you are using vit E gelcaps, they need to contain oil - usually this is soy. If the capsules do not contain oil, you will need to open them and pour the contents into a bit of oil before feeding.

Although larger amounts of soy oil (or most other oils) are not appropriate for an IR horse due to the fat content and the inverted omega 3 to omega 6 profiles, the drop in one capsule is inconsequential.
--
Lavinia, Dante and George Too

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Nancy C

I may be misreading you Linda but JIC: Soy oil is not a problem.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Save the date! The ECIR Group Inc. NO Laminitis! Conference, October 27-29, Tucson, AZ

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Shannon

Ordered!  Free shipping through Amazon.  :)  Thanks y'all

--
Shannon and Majik (IR) and Rafiq (PPID/IR, over the rainbow bridge)
Houston 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shannon%20and%20Majik%20and%20Rafiq

Majik's Photo Album

Rafiq's Photo Album

Shannon

Omega Horseshine is already ground, right?

--
Shannon and Majik (IR) and Rafiq (PPID/IR, over the rainbow bridge)
Houston 2009

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Shannon%20and%20Majik%20and%20Rafiq

Majik's Photo Album

Rafiq's Photo Album

Nicole Sicely

Yes :)
--

Nicole in VT

Joined 9/22/04

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Yes, the flax in Omega Horseshine is already ground and ready to feed.