Wedgewood Pharmacy

Karin & Inky <ksherbin@...>

I tried to pin down Wedgewood on the freshness of its pergolide. The  cryptic response:

“Some of our dosage forms are made at the time an order is placed and others are compounded ahead of time.”

I had switched to Pet Health Pharmacy and noticed the labels indicating that the pergolide isn’t necessarily a fresh batch and they expect the medication to retain efficacy for several months.  Apparently Pet Health is not unique.

At this point, would it make sense to order two months and have one month sit in our own refrigerators as opposed to the pharmacies? It would help save on shipping costs.

Karin & Inky

Forest, VA

IR/Cushing's

July 27, 2015

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Inky

Melanie Christensen

Hi Karin,

Thank you for looking into this.  I order 30 days at a time through Wedgewood and still kind of new to the pergolide prescription information, etc.  I do keep it in the door shelf of my fridge, even though it says room temp on the bottle.  Should this go to EC Horsekeeping LeeAnne?

--
Melanie, Clyde, and Sugar Jan 2015

Minnesota

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Melanie%20and%20Clyde%20-%20Sugar

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5903&p=Name,,,50,2,0,0

LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...>

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:15 am, Melanie Christensen wrote:
Should this go to EC Horsekeeping LeeAnne?

Hi Melanie,
No conversation about pergolide is related to PPID and should stay here.  Others will correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, Horsekeeping is for off topic things that would apply to equines in general, do-it-yourself instructions for making feeders/muzzles and equine property management, goes there.  Discussion of hooves for horses that do have PPID or IR is kept here and discussion for horses that do not have PPID or IR is done in ECHoof.
--

- ​LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist, Newmarket, Ontario March 2004

Email Me - if link fails use ECIR.Archives at gmail dot com

Is your equine in the Pergolide Dosage Database? View the Pergolide Statistics

  Dawn's 10 Year Case History
     Taken For Granite Art

Quote of the moment: The human spirit must prevail over technology. - Albert Einstein

beverly meyer

What other pharmacies are people happy with than Wedgewood? How about Roadrunner or Thriving Pets or others with better compounding frequencies?
Thanks for sharing. I won't use Valley Vet again.
Beverly Texas 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Beverly,

Look here in the Wiki for a list of pharmacies that members have used:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/ECIR-Links

--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Patti B

I have used Wells Pharmacy for years.  They are located at 1210 SW 33rd Ave, Ocala, FL 34474.  800-622-4510

Patti B. Lyons, NY

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 10:22 AM, beverly meyer <bmeyer@...> wrote:
What other pharmacies are people happy with than Wedgewood? How about Roadrunner or Thriving Pets or others with better compounding frequencies?
Thanks for sharing. I won't use Valley Vet again.
Beverly Texas 2014

Judy L. Meadows <marktime@...>

That is what I do.  I put 20 pills and on top of some cotton balls in three old prescription bottles so they aren't all exposed to air when opened every day.   Rudy's ACTH was the lowest I had seen it before Thriving Pets stopped compounding.  I went to Pet Health and it skyrocketed back up.  So, now that Thriving Pets is compounding again I have gone back to them.  They won't compound fewere than 60 capsules, but they told me that they compound them fresh.

Another option would be to have the pergolide compounded in 60 half-doses and give two capsules a day.  I might try that next time

Judy

On May 26, 2017 9:10 AM, "Karin & Inky" <ksherbin@...> wrote:

I tried to pin down Wedgewood on the freshness of its pergolide. The  cryptic response:

“Some of our dosage forms are made at the time an order is placed and others are compounded ahead of time.”

I had switched to Pet Health Pharmacy and noticed the labels indicating that the pergolide isn’t necessarily a fresh batch and they expect the medication to retain efficacy for several months.  Apparently Pet Health is not unique.

At this point, would it make sense to order two months and have one month sit in our own refrigerators as opposed to the pharmacies? It would help save on shipping costs.

Karin & Inky

Forest, VA

IR/Cushing's

July 27, 2015

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Inky

Judy in Southwest Missouri
Rudy
10/30/14

beverly meyer

I just reordered from Thriving Pets again as they told me the same thing about freshness. Maybe the Pergolide database could get updated to include this latest info on some of the pharmacies?
Thanks,
Beverly Texas 2014

macivor macivor <macivor19@...>

I’m guessing that the (6 month?) expiration date is from when the bulk pergolide mesylate is manufactured, not the date it is purchased by the compounding pharmacy and also not the date the pharmacy puts it into capsules?

casey oregon 1014

On May 29, 2017, at 6:49 AM, beverly meyer <bmeyer@...> wrote:

I just reordered from Thriving Pets again as they told me the same thing about freshness. Maybe the Pergolide database could get updated to include this latest info on some of the pharmacies?
Thanks,
Beverly Texas 2014

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Thriving Pets is not a pharmacy and does not do the compounding. Questions about compounding should be directed only to, and answered only by, the licensed pharmacist. In fact, that's the law. Otherwise you may get incorrect information. Your label information should always include both a "beyond use date" (expiration date) and a "date compounded" date
.
There are reasons other than changing pharmacies for ACTH to go up, although that is certainly one explanation.We haven't had any other reports of ACTH skyrocketing up after a change of pharmacies though.

Comments regarding pharmacies should be limited to matters of public record, like this one:

http://www.dora.state.co.us/pls/real/DDMS_Public.Display_Document?p_section=DPO&p_doc_id=484335&p_source=ROD&p_doc_key=4A17F85764AABA9BF791C15AB9446ADF

Best of all would be results of potency and stability testing. That's really the only thing that will answer these questions.

Claudia Goodman

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 11:45 am, macivor macivor wrote:
I’m guessing that the (6 month?) expiration date is from when the bulk pergolide mesylate is manufactured, not the date it is purchased by the compounding pharmacy and also not the date the pharmacy puts it into capsules?

casey oregon 1014
Casey,
I had a long conversation with a PHP pharmacist last week who reiterated what is stated on the capsule vial label: the date of compounding is day one of their stability claim of 6 months.
The question of how "old" the bulk pergolide might be was not discussed, however, there was a mention in that phone conversation that the bulk pergolide mesylate had good stability (which is also in question for me).
Further, PHP states the capsules can be stored at room temp. (How are do they store their capsule inventory in the pharmacy? - I didn't ask.)

 --

Claudia & Silhouette  02/2014

California Central Coast

Silhouette Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 12:04 pm, Claudia Goodman wrote:
I had a long conversation with a PHP pharmacist last week who reiterated what is stated on the capsule vial label: the date of compounding is day one of their stability claim of 6 months.

 The "head"/supervising pharmacist told me the same thing end of last week and that it is based on independent stability testing of their pergolide in oil. I haven't seen the actual paperwork yet, but will be able to and will report back. He also said stability testing on the capsules was in progress and they were doing it because of recent customer inquiries.

Some history that might put things in perspective a bit more. Before Permax was pulled off the market most compounded pergolide was liquid and liquid (not oil, water) is the only form for which there are existing USP compounding guidelines.  Compounders are not required to do potency or stability over time testing. Fast forward to Permax being pulled off the market, compounding being the only source, BI being behind stability testing of formulations of compounded liquid, powder vs capsule so they could point to it when talking up Prascend.

Compounding is envisioned by the FDA as something that happens on an individual basis, not a situation where you would have potentially hundreds or thousands of people getting the same compounded drug. There's nothing wrong with doing potency and stability testing of course, but not reasonable to expect for a single prescription.

Except for Jaini/Dr. Clougher's Canadian pharmacy, PHP is the only pharmacy I am aware of that has taken the initiative to do any testing. The others are relying on the USP's **estimated** stabilities.