Carroers

Kathy Thomas

Edited

Hello.  I am wondering if unsweetened applesauce would be an OK carrier for mg/flax supplements.  I have tried ODBC, soy hulls and beet pulp, and I might as ell throw it from the bag right into the garbage.  I am concerned that Donna is not getting her minerals.  Thanks!
--
Kathy 2017 and Donna

Harrowsmith, Ontario

Donna Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Donna/Donna%20Case%20History%20%20.pdf

Kathy,
My experience with getting my horse to eat his carrier and minerals was taking it slowly. I use the Ontario timothy cubes. What ended up working was to feed a small amount of the cubes, softened and expanded by a small quantity of HOT water in a covered bucket. Using a small amount of hot water on the cubes (with a cover) and feeding them at the next meal gave him fluffy short timothy hay as a carrier. He already liked peppermint so I use a spoonful of peppermint oil in a squeeze bottle of water and always add this to the soaked cubes for flavor. Once he was eating the carrier I began adding a pinch of minerals/salt at a time. I had to increase the minerals amount extremely slowly. It took 6 months to build him up to the full amount of needed minerals with salt and now he greedily eats his mix. I thought I would never get there but he loves his feed now. Finding a safe flavor enhancer was key. I imagine that most of us here have experienced the same thing.

What has also happened is I have been able to increase his hay intake a lot after I got his weight down and exercise up. He is just about at the free feed point now which makes him and I both happier.
--
- Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

Charles County, Maryland

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Lorna Cane

Edited

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 03:46 am, Bonnie Snodgrass wrote:
I use the Ontario timothy cubes.

 Hi Bonnie,

Are  you able to use the Ontario Dehy straight timothy cubes, as opposed to the Balance Cubes?

I ask only because there has been confusion in the past between the ODTBC (Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance Cubes -  called Complete Cubes here in Canada.Sigh), and the Ontario Dehy Timothy Cubes - ODTC.

The ODTC ( timothy only) are not balanced with minerals, and do not have ESC+Starch guaranteed to be under 10%.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Kathy Thomas

Thanks, Bonnie.  I will  give it a try.  I am not too hopeful, though, as Donna does not like  “mushy” food.
Fingers crossed!

--
Kathy 2017 and Donna

Harrowsmith, Ontario

Donna Case History

Lorna Cane

Yes,it's fine,Kathy.

Here's a link to a good article in our Files,in case you haven't found it yet:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9b%20Pulling%20it%20Together/Picky%20Eaters%20Checklist.pdf