Topics

Switching from Prascend to CP

I think I've finally found a vet who is willing to prescribe compounded pergolide and I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for him as it is not something he is very familiar with. Not to  mention, he is terribly busy right now (apparently November is a big cow month in Idaho?) so getting him out here is a project and I need to have all my ducks in a row when he comes.  I searched the archives looking for this information but couldn't find it or maybe I imagined reading it in the first place, but, is there a difference in how the compounded pergolide has to be prescribed?  Or is it a straight change; from 2.5 tabs Prascend to 2.5 mg of compounded pergolide?

I've tried to reach Thriving Pets, by phone and the "live chat" window multiple times since last week without success. No one is on the live chat and I have to leave a message every time I have called. No call back so far. I know people here use Thriving Pets successfully so I'm hoping my contact problems are not indicative of future ordering issues. Has anyone else here had difficulty making contact with them? If my vet has to call them and they don't answer, he likely won't have time to deal with it. I want to avoid that at all costs!
--
Jill, Khari & Jetty in Idaho

NRC 2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jill%20and%20Khari

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The prescription should be for 2.5 mg of pergolide from pergolide mesylate. If it just says 2.5 mg of pergolide or 2.5 mg of pergolide mesylate the weight of the mesylate will be included in the 2.5 mg and you will underdose.

This isn't the first time there have been issues with Thriving Pets.

Many members are using Pet Health and their product has been potency tested.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

hinecedark

Hi Jill,
There have been many messages here about how compounded pergolide from Pet Health comes as pergolide mesylate and how to do the math to order the right amount. But my vet prescribes the amount of pergolide my horse needs - 14mg. The pharmacist does the figuring and sends 17mg pergolide mesylate - which contains 14mg pergolide. Sounds like your vet might prefer that, as well.
HTH
Melinda
IN  2010

ferne fedeli

Had a terrible time trying to find this list, but finally asked Cass Bernstein, who knows EVERYTHING!!! Ha.  Anyway, here is the link to Pharmacies, https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/ECIR-Links
--

Ferne Fedeli     2007

No. California
Case History

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

celestinefarm

Jill, I use Thriving Pets and I know they rolled out a new website in September and had a lot of problems with it. I just now went to their facebook page and used the facebook PM to contact them I received an almost immediate response.  They said to call them at 303-333-1899 and someone should be able to answer you call or immediately call you back. Remember they are in EST.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Is that a current number? It's a Colorado area code.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale

That's the same phone number as on the web site. They have a Delaware address, a Colorado phone number and prescriptions are filled through a pharmacy in Pennsylvania.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Thanks, Melinda, I was sure I had seen information here but I couldn't come up with the correct phrases to find the "math" messages!  Got lots about CP, just not what I was looking for. Glad to know I wasn't imagining it.

And thank you! to Ferne (and Cass B!) - that is exactly what I was trying to find.

--
Jill, Khari & Jetty in Idaho

NRC 2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jill%20and%20Khari

Thank you Dr Kellon.  I'll look into Pet Health and others  as well.

It is such a huge relief to know I'll be able to afford Khari's meds for some time yet to come, I don't want anything to get in the way of this new vet being willing to work with me on this!
--
Jill, Khari & Jetty in Idaho

NRC 2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jill%20and%20Khari

LJ Friedman

Another easier choice when using pethealth pharmacy in az

rx can say

compounded pergolide to equal 2.5 prascend tablets.

make sense?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

Re: looking into others.

the best well managed horses use pethealth as their pharmacy.   They should be your first pharmacy to try,  of course, the choice is yours

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

Another pethealth plus;
you can request auto refills that will be shipped automatically at a date interval of your choosing

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

celestinefarm

Dr. Kellon,
The business is incorporated in Delaware, Rx are compounded and filled at a licensed pharmacy in Marcus Hook , PA, and the Colorado phone number belongs to Ian Hudgings, the owner of Thriving Pets direct cell phone line to him, which he has had since Thriving Pets was located in Colorado years ago. As you know, Ian is not a pharmacist, he owns and manages Thriving Pets, which sells a Rx and non Rx medications, supplements, etc. for dogs , cats, and horses. Any Rx is forwarded to his partner pharmacy, Marcus Hook, for filling and shipping. Ian follows this list and is current on protocol.

The reason I am currently using Thriving Pets is because their pharmacists source their pergolide from Teva Pharmaceuticals ,  whose pergolide is not produced in China. I personally avoid whenever possible drugs and supplements from China because I have concerns over purity and quality. Other's may not have that same concern.

And LJ, nothing against Pet Health, I've used them in the past for compounded pergolide,  But no, the claim that the "best well managed horses use Pet Health" is an insult to those whose horses are well managed and DONT use Pet Health, including our Canadian members who use their own local pharmacies.
Other pharmacies, including Thriving Pets, Rood and Riddle, SCAhealth, Hagyard and Wedgewood all have the option to have recurrent auto deliveries, although not all compound pergolide.. BET labs doesn't offer auto deliveries at this time. And those using Prascend only can also set up recurrent auto deliveries from all the large equine online companies such as Valley Vet. Horse Health, USA, etc. who do not compound meds but sell Rx products.

Members should choose what pharmacy they prefer based on what they offer, and how it fits with what their horse needs and their locations, etc.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Nancy C

Members should choose what pharmacy they prefer based on what they offer, and how it fits with what their horse needs and their locations, etc.
Hi Dawn

I agree with most of what you have said, especially about horses not doing well from pharmacies other than Pet Health. That simply is not the case, most of the time. I would however also include in your list of considerations, making sure you have a reputable pharmacy and the number of issues are minimal or nonexistent.

As Ferne pointed out, the list of compounders  is not an endorsement by ECIR, but a list as recommended by the members. The rules for inclusion are as follows:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/ECIR-Links

Each member needs to do her own due diligence when choosing a pharmacy.
_____
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Lorna Cane

Hi Dawn,

Where does Teva source its pergolide mesylate?

I've written them, but thought you might know.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

When selecting a pharmacy, look for accreditation (PCAB), ask if the pharmacy is licensed to sell in your state (if not, your supply could be cut off without warning if they get caught) and check for any regulatory action by the state board against that pharmacy and/or or its principals both in the current state and prior states where they were doing business.

All pharmaceutical raw ingredients coming into the USA are subject to the same regulations and testing requirements regardless of country of origin.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

celestinefarm

Lorna, I did a lot of searching regarding Teva, I believe their pergolide is manufactured in the Czech Republic. I do not know this for certain.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Thank you, Dawn!  That is interesting information.  I thought I’d learned that all pergolide, including Prascend, comes from the same factory in China.  This would be important to some people, obviously to you and possibly to me.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Logo's Case History:

celestinefarm

There are  other non Chinese manufacturers of Pergolide, one is in Italy, and one in Switzerland.
https://pharmaoffer.com/api-excipient-supplier/company/teva-czech

https://pharmaoffer.com/api-excipient-supplier/pergolide

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lorna Cane

i'll see if they get back to me.
I just wondered how you learned that their product wasn't from China.

But Dr. Kellon said, "All pharmaceutical raw ingredients coming into the USA are subject to the same regulations and testing requirements regardless of country of origin." So,I'm guessing product from China is included here. Relieved to hear this.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada