Hoof analysis for Eeyore

Kim Leitch

I have uploaded front hoof pictures for Eeyore, my 17 yo, PPID QH. I would appreciate it if Lavinia could do mark ups. The pictures were taken right after his last trim. He is always foot sore, but after a trim, he barely moves for two or three days. This foot soreness was the only reason I had his ACTH tested, and when I started him on Prascend, I had high hopes that his sore feet would gradually disappear. I think I see problems with his trim from studying pictures and markups in this group, but I don't trust my eye yet.
My vet is scheduled to retest his ACTH next week to see if the Prascend is doing enough.
Thank you so much.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kim,

Thanks for putting up pictures for Eeyore.

You are correct that there are problems with the trim. Toes are too long in front of him, heels are under run, frogs stretched forward and soles flat.

How long is he going between trims? When is his next trim scheduled for? Have you had any xrays done?

--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Kim Leitch

Hi Lavinia,
Eeyore is trimmed every 6 weeks by the farrier, then I trim him at 3 weeks. Those pictures were taken one hour after the farrier trimmed him on the 15th. I will trim him on July 6, or sooner if you say I should. I have not had radiographs done on him.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Lavinia Fiscaletti

OK, Kim.

Can you also please get me pix of the hind feet as well? Then I'll get some mark-ups up for you.
--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Kim Leitch

Lavinia,
I will try to get my friend with the good camera to come back on Friday to take pics of the hinds. My cell phone camera takes horrible pictures.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Kim Leitch

Lavinia,
I have uploaded the hind hoof pictures of Eeyore, along with two body shots.
Thank you in advance for the mark ups. I am going to try to trim him myself. He is so sore right now, it hurts to watch him walk, even in boots.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kim,
I've added some mark-ups to Eeyore's album:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0

The toes on all the feet are too long in the horizontal plane, frogs are stretched forward, heels tending to be run under. The vertical height of the hoof capsules appears to be less than it needs to be. No concavity to speak of so soles are likely thin. Need to really concentrate on bringing the toes back - from the top - without touching the soles at all. Although the heels need to move back, can't do it at the moment as that will compromise the already-too-thin soles. Need to measure the collateral groove depth at its deepest point in each foot. This should be a minimum of 1" - anything less, DON'T lower/bring back the heels at all. Some good explanations are on Pete Ramey's site:

http://www.hoofrehab.com/Seasons.html

http://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

http://www.hoofrehab.com/Coronet.html

LF composite: This is a series of 3 views of the LF - how it currently looks, what it should look like (eventual goal), guidelines to look at when assessing the feet. I skewed the current foot to show an idea of what it should look more like shape-wise, then "erased" the excess toe and the displaced heel bulbs in the middle photo. In the last one, note the definite angle change in the new growth coming in under the coronary band vs the older growth as you travel down the dorsal wall. The green line follows the angle of the new growth toward the ground - there should be no hoof at ground level ahead of that point. I've "erased" the excess - need to back the toe from the top perpendicular to the current angle of growth. Do not thin the entire dorsal wall to match, just get the material at ground level out of the way and allow the rest to grow down and get removed over time. The arched yellow line follows the coronet band from front toward the heels. This line should be smooth. The arch is due to the heels being run under, which in turn is pulling the attached coronet band down and forward as well. This will relax as the heels get moved back to where they should be but it will take some time. Do not attempt to fix this now as there is no depth to work with. The pink lines follow several tubules from top to bottom - note how ones in the dorsal wall bend and the ones at the back slant forward instead of being parallel to the green line.

LF sole: Orange circles are where the heel buttresses are now, yellow is where they should be, even with each other and with the widest part of the frog. Red is about where the true tip of the frog is - the rest is dead material that is trapped in the sole and is being dragged forward along with the migrating sole following the too long toes. Green is an idea of where the true foot should be - everything outside the line is excess but note the heels should be spread further apart. Leave the bottom of the feet alone for now. Just back the toes from the top between 10 and 2 then bring the rest of the front half of the foot inward proportionally so as to maintain the overall shape. bevel the toe under once you bring it back. There is a bit of lateral flare that can be brought inward as well.

LH lateral: Same basic problems as the front - toe too long at ground level and heels run under. Need to be even more vigilant not to accidentally lower the back of the feet behind as when the toe is too long it is much more likely the coffin one is going to be already ground parallel so anything removed from the heels will result in the coffin bone going negative plane (tilting downward, with the rear of the bone lower that the front half). Just back the toe.

LH sole: Same parameters as the front, with the additional issue that the medial heel is run a tad further forward than the lateral heel.Note it but leave it for now. On the next trim, run the raps over the heels once to flatten them a bit further back than they are now but no more unless the overall depth is there to work with.

RF and RH, use the same parameters to make similar corrections.

Boots and pads anytime he is uncomfortable. They help cushion his feet from impact AND they help strengthen the mechanics of the foot as well. He may prefer a wedge pad right now, to help replace the missing height in his heels. Only way to know for sure is to experiment to find his preferences. Then keep an eye on it as the feet change to see how the padding may need to change.

Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Kim Leitch

I cannot thank you enough, Lavinia.
I trimmed Eeyore's fronts today and uploaded RF and LF lateral shots for reference. Did I do enough, or should I keep going?