Flax seed oil capsules

Stepht

Has anyone tried flax seed oil capsules in their horses' ration?

My mare seems to be sensitive to the lignin in the flax seed itself, so I've used the oil. Since I board, I would like to make it easier to feed and thought capsules would work.

I don't see on the labels that the oil in the capsules have lignin. Is it safe to assume this is true?

It looks like the dose would be 3-4 500 mg capsules for a 1000 lb horse. Is that correct?

Thanks!
--
Stephanie Thomson August 2, 2016

Liberty, Missouri

Katie Case History

Katie Photo Album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6072

Katie Lab Values Folder  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stephanie%20and%20Katie

Maggie

Hi Stephanie,

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are right that "pure" flaxseed oil does not contain lignan.  The "high lignan" flaxseed oil has the lignan added back in after the oil is expelled.

But I think your math is off for the dosage--or my brain is still asleep.  Here's Jaini's "make your brain hurt" post on flaxseed and flaxseed oil:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/203051   The most important part for you to know is this sentence:  "Horses on pasture eat about 17 grams/day omega 3 (1,000 lb horse)".

1 gram = 1000mgs, so if your capsules contain 500 mg, and you need 17 grams (17000 mgs) my math shows that you need 34 capsules (yikes!)  to equal 17 grams of omega 3.  I *think* you may have only multiplied the 17 grams by 100 = 1700 divided by 500 = 3.4 capsules, but PLEASE recheck my math!!

Maggie, Chancey and Spiral in VA
March 2011
EC moderator/Primary Response

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If you were to feed 2 oz of  ground flax that would be 28,400 x 2 = 56.800 mg and at about 30% fat it's 0.3 x 56,800 = 17,040 mg or 34 500 mg capsules.

I think you're referring to flax lignans, not lignin.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/lignans

There are no lignans in the oil.