Ontario-Dehy Timothy Cubes/Triple Crown Timothy Balance

Alicia Harlov

I currently feed Standlee Timothy Grass Pellets (one cup, twice a day, just to get supplements into him) to my gelding Vinnie. I am considering switching to the TC Timothy Balance Cubes. I assume these have to be soaked prior to feeding? Best to soak, then add supplements/mix just before mealtime?

Just weighing all my options! We were using Timothy Grass Pellets from a local co-op with no analysis, he was rock crunching sound on those, and I switched to Standlee around the same time we moved to a new barn, and he went downhill/footsore. I believe it could have been the new barn/new hay/etc, but wondering if the Standlee pellets played a role. I can either switch back to the local co-op pellets (which are plain sun cured timothy grass), or possibly find the TCTBC.

Thank yoU!
--
- Alicia

September 2017, Ipswich, Massachusetts

Vinnie's Case History

I am not a moderator, just another horse owner, but you need to have the barn hay tested.
--
- Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Alicia Harlov

I understand that, but it is impossible in my case. The barn hay comes from different sources, and to supplement my own hay would cost me hundreds extra a month as the barn owner would not deduct money for not using her hay... doing the best I can with balancers etc.

--
- Alicia

September 2017, Ipswich, Massachusetts

Vinnie's Case History

Sandy Carr

Alicia....I feed one heaping cup of TC Balance cubes twice a day.  I mix up all the supplements, top them with the TC and then pour 1 1/2 cups of HOT water on them.  Stir carefully and let it set.  It will dissolve much faster with HOT water.  I mix the CTB I use in too...and Vit E squeezed from the capsule on one of the feedings.  Mix all up and serve.  Andy sometimes loves to eat it warm, other times waits until he has had some hay and it's cooler.

Hope this helps.
--
Sandy

March 2017, Corona, New Mexico, USA

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Andy .
                        https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6171 .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If Vinnie is IR (? blood work) and if he's still on 10 hours of pasture (?), the Standlee is the least of his concerns.

We have DDT in that order for a reason. The first D, diagnosis, is how you design your management. Find out if he's IR and take it from there. Knowing will simplify your life!

BTW, J

Alicia Harlov

I haven't gotten the bloodwork done and know I should. I've been trying my best financially for him, and most recently I did the Lyme titer in April when he was stiff for a few days; had him on stall rest for two days per vet Rec and then slowly reintroduced him to turn out (5++ acre full grass, ugh!) and he stayed sound and not sore surprisingly. I didn't even think the grass could be an issue until June, which is when I began looking for a new barn.

I moved him from that huge pasture barn to a new barn where his paddock is smaller (maybe an acre?) with grass/dirt/weeds, as for some reason dry lots in my area are hard to come by. I do wish I had my own property. I liked that the new barn did overnight turn out instead of daytime all summer long, but recently they switched back to daytime for fall. I've observed my gelding in the paddock for hours and he does not constantly eat, and hangs in the dirt//gravel area sleeping or grooming his paddockmates.

The last week he seems to be much happier. His feet have never once been warm, no pulses whatsoever, but over the summer he did struggle on stones (okay on cement and hard ground). He now seems okay when walking over the stones near his paddock gate.

Ideally I would love a grassless Paddock
Paradise type system for him but nothing like that near me.

--
- Alicia

September 2017, Ipswich, Massachusetts

Vinnie's Case History
Vinnie's Pictures

Alicia Harlov

I always assumed he was IR because he is an easy keeper, loses weight in winter and gains weight in summer....