Selenium 2nd request

Kim Leitch

I sent the below post last week, but haven't had a reply. I am very concerned about Gtits' hair loss. What is the role of selenium in the IR horse, and why is 2 mg a magic number? If her hair is falling out, shouldn't I lower the level? I'm getting ready to order a different mineral blend for the new hay, and I want to make sure I'm not causing problems. I have three horses on the same hay, 15 lbs., 18 lbs., and 25 lbs. If the 25 lbs. is balanced with 2 mg Se, the other two horses will be getting less, but I think Grits is getting too much. I hope this makes sense.

I don't put a lot of stock in the accuracy of blood tests for Se after my issues with another horse. He was suffering Se toxicity, yet his blood work kept showing him as low Se.

My concern is that Grits has significant hair loss on the balanced minerals with 2 mg of Se yeast plus the Sodium selenite in the ODTB. Her hay could be somewhat alkaline as the grower uses lime on his fields.
Am I in any way jeopardizing her IR by lowering the amount of Se in her minerals?
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

How did you determine your other horse had Se toxicity if the blood tests were low? What blood test was used?

Kim Leitch

I don't know what blood test was used, it was many years ago, but my vet uses BET for most of his testing.
My concern is not about the past, but the fact that Grits has lost so much of her mane and tail since being on balanced minerals with 2 mg of Se yeast. What is the purpose of so much Se for an IR horse?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits IR, Eeyore PPID, Dually ???

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Lorna Cane

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 04:24 pm, Kim Leitch wrote:
My concern is not about the past, but the fact that Grits has lost so much of her mane and tail since being on balanced minerals with 2 mg of Se yeast. What is the purpose of so much Se for an IR horse?
--
Just to say that years ago I  had a Se toxicity problem, from a cocked up custom mineral mix.
The amount of Se that 5 of my then-9 horses were getting before mane/tail hair began falling out, garlic odour on breath, coronary band eruptions was in the neighbourhood of 100mg/day.They had no business living, but they did - although all 5 sloughed all their hooves.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Kim Leitch

i apologize for not being clear in my questions about Selenium.
I want to know the following:
1. What is the purpose of selenium in the IR horses diet?
2. How much selenium does an IR horse need?
3. Since I am feeding three different horses different amounts of the same hay, they will each be getting differing amounts of selenium, because they will be getting different amounts of the minerals. The minerals are balanced to the hay, but it seems that selenium is given in a fixed amount. Do the horses getting less minerals need added selenium?
4. Why is Grits loosing mane and tail hair? If not selenium, what else could be causing this?