Jiaogulan

DawnC

I thought I read somewhere that Jiaogulan helps with blood flow to the hoof. I tried to look through the messages but on searching, over 2400 came up. Is there any central information about use & dosage? I would rather ask here than read things through an internet search. Any help is appreciated.

Dawn & Roma
Delaware
August 2011

Lorna Cane

That's the beauty of an archive search.
OTOH, have you tried our Files? You can do a search there,for answers to your question,with fewer articles to read there.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Jane Fletcher

Can a foot grow hood so fast you can literally see it growing but still suffer from poor circulation?

Regards, Jane

Sent from my iPhone

--
Jane, South East Western Australia
Nov 2016

Nancy C

Edited

Hi Jane

There's two thing I have seen with the foot.  Jiaogluan can make the foot grow much faster. It requires one to rasp a lot more often to keep up with the growth.  Owners who can learn to do this will not be sorry.

The second event has to do with the interior of the foot. We often think of the foot as being a rigid structure.  It is not. Bowker says the basement membrane has some degree of fluidity.  He likens it to the consistency of peanut butter. Basement membrane is connective tissue in between levels of laminae.  http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/horse/index.php?title=Laminae

What I have seen when large portions of dead foot are taken off (see discussions about Jesse, Dr Kellon's and Lavinia's articles) is the foot - the hoof wall -  relaxing to a new position as a result of this removal.  My farrier does a lot of this work and I've been lucky in accompanying him. He could literally remove laminae wedge and come back in a short amount of time to find the need to remove hoof wall again. Usually he does this over a couple of hours but I know he's seen it even sooner. I have seen it when I have worked on tbuldges in the hoof wall quarters.

All this is IMO, why we need to address the compromised foot much more regularly. Even every two weeks can be too long, so having an owner who can address the foot with a few rasps in between visits is a blessing for the horse.

HTH.

If you are looking for info on jiaogulan, there is lots in the Files including Dr Kellon's presentation to the Belgium Equine Conference, background, dosing, etc.  Just go to the FILES section and plug "jiaogulan" in the search box.
--
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

Save the date! The ECIR Group Inc. NO Laminitis! Conference, October 27-29, Tucson, AZ

Learn the facts about IR, PPID, equine nutrition, exercise and the foot
ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
ecirhorse.org

Jane Fletcher

Yes I had been reading on the site and posts about jiagolan and the Pete Ramey links. It's just as he grows so much foot, he's now done every two weeks I thought his circulation may be fine. I will read more on it thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Jane, South East Western Australia
Nov 2016