Hay question

Hi all. My barn owner is complaining about the cost of timothy and wants me to look for an alternate hay to feed or to substitute some of the timothy with. Flame currently eats 25 pounds of timothy soaked per day at $25 per bale. He goes through a bale in about 5 days. No other horses at the barn eat timothy. I looked through the files & see that orchard & bermuda are also low enough for Flame. My barn owner told me the feed store she uses has an all grass hay (not sure what exactly it is) or a 50/50 timothy/alfalfa mix- which I think will be too high because of the alfalfa. Any suggestions? My case history is up to date except for the Pergolide which is at 5mg for the seasonal rise. Thanks in advance.
--
Beth & Flame

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Beth, does your barn have access to Susanville hay? I bought decent  third cut orchard grass from Susanville. It has nice levels of major minerals and less than 4% ESC.  I uploaded a 603 analysis of a small sample to Cayuse's Case History folder under Hay Analysis. I'm awaiting a resample of the entire 40 bales and will update this thread if I find anything significantly different. My mare likes it.

--
Cass for Cayuse
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

LJ Friedman

Many Barns including where I board my horse, have switch from Timothy to teff hay. You can see some analyses of teff. It is often acceptable just sometimes hi in iron

Lj friedman. San Diego

--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=2117 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=2117

. https://ecir.groups. io/g/CaseHistory/files/LJ% 20and%20Jesse ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/LJ%20and%20Jesse )

 Cass, I am about to buy somewhere between 60 and 85 bales of hay.  I was considering buying 3rd cut orchard grass from Susanville from Larsens if they have it.  Are you buying direct from the farmers?  Should we try to purchase some of the hay you bought in one large "buy (I feel like I am arranging a big drug buy😊)?

 I would be willing to pay toward your costs for hay analysis and even for any mineral balancing you have paid for if that would work for my horses.

Gail Russell, Forestville .CA 2008

Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Gail, I bought the Susanville orchard grass from Larsen’s. I’m happy to share the final 603 analysis with you. I should have it soon. PM me if I don’t post the updated analysis within the week. I ordered Se analysis, which takes a long time.

Larsens told me they had plenty of hay from the same load. My hay had blue and yellow string.
--
Cass for Cayuse
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Thank you Cass & LJ for your responses. Cass we are all the way down in Las Vegas but I’ll talk to my barn owner and see if the Susanville hay would be an option. I’ll have to call and see if & how much to bring it down to Vegas. LJ I’ll make some calls & see if I can find Teff in Vegas.  I stop by the feed store that my barn owner uses, they do carry orchard and Bermuda as well. I know each horse has their own preference, but does anyone have experience with  one being more palatable than the other?
--
Beth & Flame

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

kaitlyn.hennessy@...

Not a suggestion on the kind of hay per se, but I’ve seen this often in our area because some barns don’t want the added cost of Timothy but clients want to feed it. We’ve done one of two things-
1) pay the difference between the hay they normally feed and Timothy
2) get a discount on the board to buy our own

i don’t know if either would be an option for you but a way to perhaps work around the issue without switching your horse.