New hoof photos

Sue Hansen

Edited

I had a new farrier work on my mare's very sore feet a week ago.  He does barefoot trimming.  I tried to show him the mark-ups that are posted in my album but my laptop wouldn't hookup to WIFI in my barn...ARGH!  I talked to him about a shorter toe and he said it's a gradual process and recommended not putting SoftRide boots on her and encouraging her to walk by placing her hay in small piles a distance apart so she will walk to them.  I'm sure he'll do a good job with my horses (no more shoes!).   We had a cold snap and the ground froze so I put her SoftRide boots back on and she seems somewhat more comfortable.   It wasn't so bad when she could walk in mud.  What do you think of the trim? I realized after the pics were taken that I didn't get a complete set.  Do you need to see more?

I am also giving her 1/4 of her minerals in unsweetened applesauce.  She hates them :(   Such a purist when it comes to her food.
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA

Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764

Lorna Cane

Edited

Sue I separated your CH link from your album link to make the album link clickable.You'll need to go back to subscription and do that yourself,and then Save, ok?

Don't forget to hit Enter immediately after you paste the link.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I hate to bear bad news but calling yourself a barefoot trimmer may only mean they don't know how to put shoes on. This trimmer obviously doesn't know what to do with these feet. The comment about bringing toes back being a slow process was a red flag. Toes can and should be corrected in one trim. The heels also need to come down. When you can, print out the mark ups and also the contents of the trimming folder in our files.

Her October films were worse than June and if the trim isn't corrected her feet will continue to get worse.  Walking more on feet like these won't do her a bit of good. There's only one reliable test of whether you should use boots (and pads) and that is the horse's comfort level.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Sue,

Backing the toe should not be a gradual process - it needs to be done as quickly as possible to get the breakover set where it needs to be so you stop the damage that it is doing with every step the horse takes. I also disagree with keeping a sore horse without protection. If she is sore, she will move with toe-first landings, which will exacerbate all the issues that the feet already have. Boots are both protective and also a active rehab tool to allow the horse to move correctly. Good job of putting the boots back on when you saw she wasn't comfortable.

Really need a full set of photos to be able to make the most informed comments but from the ones that you posted, the toes are still much too long. It appears as if the trim just shortened the vertical height of the entire hoof capsule following along the same angles that were already there. This didn't take into account the changes that needed to be made based on what the radiographs revealed.

Agree that placing her hay in various locations to encourage gentle movement is a good thing.

Can sure sympathize with the mineral issue - it seems our special needs guys are determined to make getting them healthier an uphill battle. Hang in there.

--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Peanut, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

ECIR Support Team

Sue Hansen

Do you think I should request more radiographs before backing the toe or the sooner the trim, the better?    I will print the markup pictures and show them to the farrier I usually use.  Thank you for your input.
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764

Lavinia Fiscaletti

You don't need radiographs to back those toes up more and I would advise getting them backed as soon as possible. That said, radiographs never hurt.

If the person doing the work knows how to measure sole depth using collateral grooves, and knows not to carve into soles that are too thin, then there shouldn't be a problem.
--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Peanut, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

ECIR Support Team

Sue Hansen

Lorna.  I don't know exactly what you are requesting.  I understand you had to separate my photo album link from my CH link.  Do you want me to reconnect the album and the CH link?
Sue
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764

Lorna Cane

Sue,does your album link work for you?

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Sue Hansen

I think I fixed it.  See if you can now open my photo album.
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764  .

Sue Hansen

My farrier is coming tomorrow.  I have posted more photos in Dawn's album for mark-ups.  I will then print the mark-ups to show my farrier so I don't have to depend on my computer.  Thank you for your help.  Much appreciated.
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764  .

Lorna Cane

Sue Hansen

I just spoke with my farrier and he is questioning the trim.  He thinks shoeing is the best way to go since my vet also recommends it, so I need an explanation as to why this trim is the better of the two.   I've read so much my head is spinning!  According to the markups you originally made, you are not recommending removing any of the heel  ??  Am I right?  Just shortening the toe?  HELP!
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764  .

Lorna Cane

Just keep breathing,Sue.This is not easy.
But breathing - in AND out - really helps. Helps us think

Don't forget about boots.You've already learned that she is more comfortable in them, than not in them, contrary to what your trimmer said.
Boots allow more frequent trims,too.
And shoes won't help a thing if the trim isn't corrected, as Lavinia and Dr. Kellon have both pointed out.

And never lose sight of the fact that she's your horse. If I have it right,what has been done so far has not helped her, so more of the same isn't likely to help her,either. So, maybe...

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/PPID%20and%20IR%20Success%20Stories/Success%20Story%20%233%20-%20Lorna%20and%20Ollies%20Story.pdf

Jane Fletcher

Here is my little rant! I too have struggled with different opinions from my farrier and vet, both lovely blokes. I now do my own with the help of a great Barefoot farrier. I do have to travel my horses now but it's worth it.

My rant is that I have dragged out my Pete Ramey Under the Horse DVD set. It is 10 DVDs and totals about 16 hours. This is not a new series. There is so much proper scientifically researched info in there. Why do farriers and vets not know the true information about how the foot is made, how it can change with an incorrect trim? More importantly why do they not know how a correct trim can totally change so many things? They will tell you things that can't be changed and the horse will have to live with it. So much of that is just not true and if they knew the science they would know that.

What Lavinia puts in her markups is based on scientific research and thousands of examples of horses saved from euthanasia and returned to full riding soundness.

I feel your pain as it can be a tough journey when the experts we put our faith in perhaps don't have the knowledge we do as a lay person. I do feel for vets as they have to know about so many animals, drugs etc and it must be damn hard. Me - I only need to know my horse and can devote all my research time to that one animal.

We can but ensure we read the latest research and arm ourselves with this knowledge. We do our best to advocate for our horse the best we can.

I wish you the best with whatever you choose to do - shoes or Barefoot. You have found this site because you are passionate about your horse and your horse is lucky to have you!!

Sorry if I have overstepped the mark with this comment! It's just watching the DVDs has been so amazing with bursting so many myths I have been told!!

Cheers, Jane

P.S. I'll get back in my box now!!

Sent from my iPad

--
Jane, South East Western Australia
Nov 2016

Sue Hansen

Thank you for your rant Jane.  I needed that as my farrier is about to drive in.  Wish me luck!

Sue

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764  .

Jane Fletcher

After I had pressed send I thought what was I doing hijacking your post for my rant! Anyway best wishes. It's hard when the professionals aren't on board. Hope it went well!

Sent from my iPad