Salt Lick

Kathy Thomas

This may have been discussed before.
 What colour salt lick is best for Cushing's/IR horses?
Thanks in advance!
--
Kathy 2017 and Donna

Harrowsmith, Ontario

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Donna

Alicia Harlov

I use just a plain white salt lick in case the red ones are red from iron in them (contraindicated for IR/metabolic horses). I'll let someone with more substantial info weigh in though!
--
- Alicia

September 2017, Ipswich, Massachusetts

Vinnie's Case History
Vinnie's Pictures

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kathy,

Plain white salt blocks - for any horse, not just PPID/IR ones.

This is in addition to adding plain white salt to their daily feed to at least meet daily minimum requirements.

--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Peanut, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

ECIR Support Team

LJ Friedman

I find salt  blocks wasteful..  never utilized enough and when utilitzed.. can't get the proper amounts of salt that is needed..  Year round.., daily.  I add 3 ozs of iodized table salt to 2.5# rsr bp and custom supps.. plus vit e, flax and special things that jesse needs like cinnamon.. alcar.. j herb  etc.   ( start slowly with the salt..   1 tsp for a while.. etc and increase as you get horse to finish everything)
--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

.https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/LJ%20and%20Jesse

Kathy Thomas

Thanks, Lavinia,

Do the white licks contain iodine?  The feed store here says that they do not.
I am feeding iodized salt in Donna’s feed, but was wondering if she needed a salt lick as well.

--
Kathy 2017 and Donna

Harrowsmith, Ontario

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Donna

Lavinia Fiscaletti

No, white salt blocks do not contain iodine.
--
Lavinia and George Too

Dante, Peanut, Nappi and George over the Bridge

Jan 05, RI

ECIR Support Team

There is one company, "Champion's Choice" that makes "livestock" salt products. They do produce loose (granular)  iodized salt sold in 50 lb bags and iodized 50 lb blocks. Tractor Supply stores carry some of their products. If you have several horses it might be worth seeing if you could order the bulk bags of loose iodized salt from a TSC store. Since I have only one horse now I buy the cheapest iodized human salt I can find and add that to my horse's mineral mix..

Blocks are not all that effective for horses. You do not know how much they are consuming and a horse's tongue just isn't all that rough so licking hard blocks doesn't work as well  for equines. My IR horse NEVER touches a salt block.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Lorna Cane

I was hopeful when I read this, Bonnie.
Called our TSC here - Kingston,Ontario- and they don't carry any form of white iodized salt,up here. They flog the blue and red blocks.

I only have a couple of boys left,so just get iodized from Costco for them
I put out white blocks (mostly for entertainment),which disappear over time,but figure it would be more bang for the buck if they also contained iodine.Not as their main source ,though.

--

Lorna in Eastern Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Iodized salt blocks are probably not very reliable because iodine in salt sublimates over time. Unless the loose salt is very high purity and well protected that's not going to be a reliable source either.

Bev

Regarding white salt ... I feed two tablespoons of loose white salt, per horse, daily, mixed with California Trace minerals and all together in soaked bermuda hay pellets.

Should the salt be iodized or non iodized?

Thanks!

--
- Bev and Majestic
May, 2017

So buying iodized salt in small containers and not in bulk is best because of less loss of iodine to gaseous form? I just looked up the definition of sublimation (chemical). Just bought 8 lbs of iodized salt. Sigh.......
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

In the summer, I take some 3 lb white salt bricks and break them up with a sledge hammer into golf ball sized pieces (or at least try to) and put in a salt bin in the turnout.  My horses love to chew on them.  I saw a documentary of some wild horses chewing on lumps of salt many years ago.  I still add salt to their mineral mix though.

Kim Lee Gillette
Malachi IR/PPID, Mateo IR, suspected PPID
2010

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Bonnie Snodgrass <chicamuxen@...> wrote:
[...]

Bagged salt will be more stable than salt in a block exposed to air and the elements, especially if it's human grade salt. Just keep the container in a cool and dry environment and as tightly sealed as you can.

If feeding CA Trace Plus you can use plain salt.  If regular CA trace, use iodized.